Chapter 11

Nathan found it surprisingly easy to get into the book Jonathan had pushed in his hands. From time to time he'd glance up from the pages of the book at Jonathan, who was deeply concentrated on a book of his own.

After the first chapter, Nathan took a small break, eyeing Jonathan. "What are you doing here anyway?" He asked.

Jonathan looked up at him. "I'm reading." He smiled. "What does it look like?" He went back to his book, and turned the page.

"But it's a Friday night." Nathan pointed out. "You spend Friday night at the library?" he asked.

Jonathan didn't look up, but shrugged his shoulders. "So do you." He mumbled.

"Yeah, but I just came here to get away from the rain." Nathan explained. "Why are you here?" He repeated.

Sighing, Jonathan put the book down and looked away. "My mom's at the hospital overnight. I can't visit her at night, and I didn't want to sit home alone." He mumbled.

Nathan gulped, and looked away. He felt embarrassed for asking, almost a little pushy too. "I'm sorry..." He mumbled. "Will she... uh... is she going to be okay?"

Jonathan nodded. "She should be fine. They said she would, and they've never lied before." He shrugged.

"I guess." Nathan said, deciding not to pry any further. "Hey, I'm..." He cleared his throat. "I'm thinking of heading home." He said.

Jonathan's head snapped to look at him. He looked disappointed, probably because he'd be left without company. "Oh..." He said.

Nathan looked at him for a while. He held back the urge to sigh, gulp, and stutter before continuing. "If you want you can come." He said. "My parent's won't mind. They're probably out anyways."

Jonathan looked surprised, and uncertain. "I don't know..." He said, looking down. Nathan watched him ponder the suggestion.

"Y-You don't have to." Nathan said. "I just... you know, thought it'd be funnier than staying here all by yourself."

Jonathan looked up at him with a weak smile. "A-All right, I'll go." he said. "But only if you promise to finish that book." He added, and nodded at the book Nathan held.

"Deal." Nathan nodded.

Jonathan helped him check the book out, and followed him outside where the rain had stopped. It was dark out, and they walked fairly quickly to Nathan's car and got in. Nathan drove back home, and just as Nathan had though, one of the other cars were gone. There was no red Ferrari on the driveway.

The face Jonathan made when he saw the cars was priceless. He looked as if he was about to faint. "Oh my God!" He exclaimed when Nathan parked next to the brand new Ford. "Are all of these yours?!" He asked, turning to Nathan with awe written all over his face.

"My dad's cars." Nathan shrugged. "I only drive them sometimes." He couldn't help but add.

Jonathan's jaw dropped. "You're joking!" He gasped.

"I'm not!" Nathan shook his head.

"Wow..." Jonathan smiled at the cars. "That's really cool." He said, before turning back to Nathan. "Are we going inside?" He asked.

Nathan nodded happily. Jonathan seemed to have cheered them both up. "Hello?" He called when he entered the house. When he didn't get a reply, he turned to Jonathan again. "They're out for dinner I think. Some days we have a maid at home, but I don't think she's been here today." he explained.

"A maid?" Jonathan hummed. "Wow..."

"I can take your jacket." Nathan offered. "Make yourself at home." He said, and put Jonathan's and his own jacket away.

"A-All right." Jonathan walked into the living room and looked around. He gave an impressed whistle when he saw the TV. The couch looked comfortable, and he walked over to it and hesitantly nudged the gray fabric.

"There you are." Nathan said when he entered the room, startling Jonathan. "Oh, wow. I didn't mean to scare you. Sorry." He chuckled. "Um... do you wanna watch some TV?"

"Yeah, sure." Jonathan nodded.

Nathan seated himself on the couch, and Jonathan did the same. It seemed as if their roles had switched back to normal. Now, Nathan was the one who tried to get a conversation started, while Jonathan rarely spoke. However, Nathan didn't try too hard because he liked the comfortable silence between them.

Jonathan stayed for long. It was a little after midnight when he let out a yawn he'd been holding back.

Nathan looked over at him. "You tired?" he asked, feeling sleepiness hover over himself too. "You can crash on the couch if you want. It doesn't really matter now." He hummed. Jonathan gave a sleepy shrug, practically already sleeping, and stretched out further on the couch. He hadn't intended to stay for so long, but he had, and he was glad he didn't have to walk home in the middle of the night.

Nathan disappeared out of the living room, and came back a few moments later with blankets, and pillows. He tossed one to Jonathan, that caught it and shoved it in under his head. He gave a satisfied sigh when Nathan covered him with one of the blankets. Jonathan was already sleeping before Nathan had even made himself comfortable on the other side of the couch.

"G'night." Nathan mumbled, turning the TV off, and put the remote on the table. He didn't get a reply but it was enough that Jonathan was there for him to fall asleep with a smile on his face.