Chapter 33

"Nate, new plan." Josh said when he saw Nathan come walking. "The big game. Us boys. My place." He said and pointer at Oliver and himself. Nathan nodded, and just then Josh seemed to notice the guy walking with Nathan. "Who's that?"

"This is Isaac. Isaac Dawson." Nathan said. "He's an old friend." He introduced them. "Isaac, this is Josh and Oliver."

"What's up?" Josh nodded.

"Nothing, I'm good." Isaac mimicked Josh.

Oliver laughed. "Hey, why don't you join us too? We're watching the big game at Josh's place." He said.

Isaac shrugged his shoulder, glancing between them. "Sounds like fun." He said.

Nathan smiled, happy that his friends got along so well. "You can catch a ride with me." He offered. "We wouldn't miss that game for anything." He patted Isaac on the shoulder.

Isaac did catch a ride with Nathan, and was very hesitant when he got into the Ford Nathan drove that day. The drive there was silent, and awkward. "So, how have you been doing?" Nathan broke the silence. "How was the new school?" He asked.

Chuckling stiffly, Isaac shrugged. "It was cool. A lot of interesting things to do, great food, and a bunch of pretty people." He said.

"So you've practically been living the high life." Nathan chuckled.

"Pretty much." Isaac mumbled, glancing at Nathan. "I've really missed you, Nate." He said.

Nathan turned to look at him for a second. "I've missed you too." He said.

"You know what I mean..." He mumbled. Nathan didn't answer. Isaac sighed, and then tried to perk up. "So, when does the best friend get to meet the boyfriend?" He asked.

"I'm seeing him later, but today isn't the best day. How about tomorrow? How about lunch?"

Isaac nodded. "Yeah, that sounds great."

Nathan parked his car behind Josh's by his house. "Nate, bro. I thought I lost you in traffic." Josh chuckled. "Did you have a hard time keeping up?"

"It's not easy keeping up with someone who drives like he's got six starts in Grand Theft Auto." Nathan shook his head.

Isaac laughed, and Josh gave a cocky grin. "Let's get inside. The game's about to start." He pushed Nathan through the front door. Nathan, Oliver, and Isaac sat down in the black leather couch in the messy living room, and Oliver turned the TV on.

Empty soda cans littered the floor, along with an empty pizza carton. "Don't mind the mess." Josh said and exited the kitchen with an eight oacj of sodas. "The old folks are out of town." He plopped down in the old armchair.

"Where are they?" Isaac asked when he grabbed a soda.

Josh grabbed one for himself and opened it up. "Vegas." he grinned. "Trying their luck for a couple of weeks." He laughed.

The four boys watched the game, and about halfway through Nathan couldn't help but check his phone for messages.

Jonathan: Having fun?

Nathan: I'm at Josh's place. Watching the big game, and our team's winning. BIG time. Do you want me to pick you up?

He noticed that Isaac glanced his way, and Nathan shot him a quick smile.

Jonathan: No, that's fine. I think I'll stay a while more. Come over when you're done.

Nathan: I'll be there sometime after the game.

Jonathan: Drive safely.

"Hey, lover boy. Off to dream land?" Josh grinned. Nathan looked up at his friends and rolled his eyes. "I'm kidding. I know what it's like. Women..." Josh shook his head.

Nathan snorted. "Whatever." He noticed that Isaac was watching him again, and he shook his head before turning back to the TV.

When the game was over three out of four boys jumped out of the couch, cheering for the winning team. Isaac didn't seem as enthusiastic. Nathan and Josh cheered the loudest, and high-fived. "Awesome! That dunk killed the game!" He flopped back down onto the couch.

"You owe me ten bucks!" Josh slapped Oliver over the back. "Told you, Brooke was the best player!" he grinned victoriously when he sat back down.

Nathan smiled, and got back up. "It's been great, guys, but it's time for me to leave."

"Aw, come on, Nate. Already?" Josh looked disappointed.

"Duty calls." He waved his phone around, earning a grin from Josh. "You want a ride home?" Nathan turned to Isaac, that got up.

"It was cool hanging with you guys." he waved at Josh and Oliver when he followed Nathan out to the car. "Just, drop me off at my old place. Dad still got the place." He said when Nathan started the car. Nathan nodded. "Where are you going? After you've dropped me off?"

"I'm going to Jonathan's house to pick him up." Nathan said. "I'm exhausted. I'm gonna sleep like a baby."

"J-Jonathan's staying the night?" Isaac looked out the window.

"Yeah." Nathan nodded, pulling over. "Here we are." He said.

Isaac lingered. "T-Thanks for the ride." He mumbled looking around in the car, like he was having problems finding the door. Nathan chuckled, and leaned over him and opened the door for him. "T-Thanks." Isaac blushed and quickly got out. "S-See you." He hurried inside the house.

Nathan drove over to Jonathan's house and walked up to the door, giving it a few knocks. Jonathan opened the door, beaming up at him. "Hi!" He chirped and jumped into Nathan's arms, hugging him.

Nathan chuckled, and kissed him. "You're in a good mood." He pointed out, and Jonathan nodded before pulling him into the house, and into the living room.

"Mom, Nathan's here." He said.

"That's great." Maria answered, surprisingly cheerful.

"Mom and I were just watching some TV. Come and sit." Jonathan pulled Nathan over to the couch and pushed him down in it. Maria sat in her armchair, covered in blankets.

"Hello, Nathan. Jonathan said you were coming." She said, forcing a smile. At least she tried, Nathan and Jonathan both thought.

Maria turned to the TV and Jonathan went to fetch another blanket. He wrapped both himself and Nathan in it when he came back, snuggling up against his boyfriend. Nathan wrapped his arm around Jonathan, confused of the situation, but happy of the non-hostile welcome he received.

It was obvious that Jonathan had spoken to Maria, and it was clear that she was trying her best to accept them both. Or at least trying to from the looks she sometimes gave Nathan. Either way, Nathan was happy, because Jonathan seemed really, really happy.