Chapter 23

As he approached Jonathan's house Nathan almost got cold feet, and considered not going, but once he was outside the house it was just too late to back out.

"Come on, Nate. You can do it." He told himself before exiting the car and walked up the few steps to the front door and knocked on it.

It took a few moments before Jonathan opened. Nathan had to keep himself from completely swooning over Jonathan. He wore black jeans, and a blue dress shirt with rolled up sleeves. He looked so good that Nathan had probably fainted if he hadn't been so nervous and stiff.

"Hi." Jonathan smiled shyly.

Nathan gulped, trying to smile back. "H-Hi." He stuttered. "Are you ready?" He asked, watching Jonathan nod. "G-Great, let's go." He lead Jonathan to the car and opened the door for him. He took a few deep breaths when he walked around the car to get into the driver's seat.

"So, where are we going?" Jonathan asked.

"I-I thought we could eat something, and go and catch a movie?" He almost asked.

Jonathan gave another nod. "Sounds good."

Nathan smiled nervously and turned the engine on. His mind was spinning when he drove. He could smell the cologne Jonathan wore, and that made keeping the car straight very difficult. Nathan parked the car outside a small restaurant.

"Here?" Jonathan asked, sounding slightly surprised. "I've never seen this restaurant before."

Nathan nodded. "Y-Yeah, it's just a small restaurant. I figured... uh... you don't really like the attention... and I'm Nathan Bone... S-So a small restaurant wouldn't make things more difficult. We might even get some privacy."

"That's great." Jonathan smiled.

They went inside and got a table. To Nathan's relief, no one seemed to recognize him. They got a table in the corner of the restaurant, by the window. Nathan kept mentally telling himself to calm down, and stop being so stiff, but Jonathan didn't seem to mind it.

Soft music streamed from speakers on the wall, and the many candles made the whole restaurant a warm.

Jonathan chuckled nervously. "I've never really been out like this." He confessed, shifting in his seat.

Nathan gave the waitress an awkward smile before turning back to Jonathan. "You haven't?" He asked.

Jonathan shook his head. "Never, but so far I kinda like it." He smiled.

Nathan could never get enough of that smile. "I'm glad you like it, I do too."

They kept small talking, about their day at first. The awkwardness quickly disappeared and soon they were both so deep in the conversation that they barely noticed the world around them. Nathan pulled a joke about one of the waiters' haircut, and they two boys tried way to hard not to laugh when they were served.

Jonathan mentioned something about a vegetable, that Nathan found hilarious, and couldn't stop laughing at and when they'd both finished Nathan payed for the food, despite Jonathan protesting.

They walked to the movies, since it wasn't that far away. He let Jonathan pick a movie, agreeing to watch whatever movie Jonathan picked. "How about that one?" Jonathan asked, pointing to a red poster with a zombie on it.

"Warm bodies." Nathan read.

"Yeah, I think it's the last time they show it. Most people have already seen it." Jonathan explained.

"Meaning less people." Nathan chuckled. "Sure, that sounds great. Let's see it."

They got their tickets, and Nathan smiled at Jonathan. "You go and find out seats, I'll buy some popcorn." He offered. "Want anything to drink?"

"Anything with bubbles." Jonathan said before taking off to find the right place, and seats.

Nathan made his way to the snack bar, and got popcorn and sodas. The cashier recognized him, but Nathan didn't actually car and got the snacks, offered the cashier a weak smile before going to find Jonathan.

He plopped down in the seat on Jonathan's left. "Missed me yet?" He joked, grinning when Jonathan rolled his eyes. "I got you a soda, and I thought we could share some popcorn." He added. "Popcorn and movies kind of go together."

Jonathan grabbed a handful of popcorn. "Great." He smiled.

They sat pretty far back, and there wasn't many people other than them there. What seemed to be a married couple, a sad looking guy, and a group of teens in the front. None of them noticed the two boys in the back.

The movie was cool. Nathan liked it. It was some kind of romantic comedy of sort, that Jonathan seemed to enjoy since he kept chuckling. Nathan couldn't help but chuckle too when the zombies did something extremely non-zombie like or odd.

Nathan glanced over at Jonathan from time to time, but Jonathan was too concentrated on the movie to notice. Smiling, Nathan's eyes wandered to their hands that laid just a few inches apart in the armrests. How easy it would be to just scoot his hand an in or two, and touch Jonathan's hand.

He didn't have time to continue that though since Jonathan practically jumped in his seat, grabbing a hold of Nathan's hand. Nathan looked up at the screen, looking at the new creepy zombies on the big screen. Jonathan seemed to have his eyes glued to the screen, grasping Nathan's hand in his. For a few moments Nathan grinned down at their hands, and then went back watching the movie.

When the movie was over Jonathan smiled to himself. He gave Nathan's hand a squeeze, but seemed to realize what he was doing and quickly let it go, blushing.

"S-Sorry." He blurted out. "I just... um..." He gulped.

"Don't worry about it." Nathan chuckled. "You weren't scared, were you?"

Jonathan shook his head. "Of course not. I just wasn't prepared for skeleton jumping out like that." He defended himself.

"Of course not." Nathan grinned as they got up from their seats.

It was getting dark outside, but the two boys was in no hurry to get back to the car. They walked closer to one another than before, talking about the movie they had just seen. Nathan hadn't paid it that much attention, but Jonathan filled him in where it was needed.

They both got into the car and drove around before heading back to Jonathan's house. Nathan followed Jonathan to the door, where Jonathan stopped.

"T-Thanks, Nathan. I had a lot of fun." Jonathan said.

Nathan smiled. "Me too. It was kind of great." He confessed, scratching the back of his neck.

"Yeah, I am too." Jonathan nodded and smiled before giving Nathan a quick hug. "Hey, Nathan?" He called when Nathan turned to walk back to his car. "Could we... you know... could we do this again sometime?"

Nathan didn't know what to do but to nod. "Yeah, sure." He smiled. "W-Whenever you want." He promised. "I'll text you, all right?" Jonathan lit up into a smile, nodding his head. "Great, see ya." Nathan waved before getting into his car and driving home.