Chapter 37

Nathan drove out of town and out on the highway. He let go of the steering wheel with one hand and held Jonathan's hand. The blond smiled happily, when Nathan turned up the radio, singing along to the music.

Jonathan laughed. Nathan Bone was good at many things, but singing wasn't one of them. When Nathan noticed that Jonathan found it funny when he wasn't able to hit the high notes, he sang louder, making Jonathan laugh even more.

"You're too funny." Jonathan slapped him on the arm. "I-I love you." He blurted out.

Jonathan gulped, he'd never said that out loud before. It felt weird, and good. Nathan smiled at him. "I love you too." He said before turning back to the road.

He parked the car where he'd parked it the last time, and smiled to himself when Jonathan got out of the car with the most excited look on his face imaginable. Nathan got a basket from the trunk, and a blanket while Jonathan snatched his own backpack from the trunk with a grin.

"Are we going?" He asked sweetly and tugged at Nathan's sleeve.

The brunet chuckled and they made their way out on the sandy beach. The weather hadn't gotten much warmer since the last time they were there but there was already surfers out there, trying to tame the relatively large waves on their colorful boards.

Nathan spread the blanket out and sat down, patting the space next to himself. "Something to drink?" He offered Jonathan a drink from a thermos.

Jonathan laughed and sat down next to him. "Hit me." He said and Nathan smiled when he poured the warm drink in a glass, handing it to Jonathan.

They sat close together and enjoyed their drinks while watching the surfers float around in the water, waiting for good waves. Jonathan pulled away after a while. "Hold my drink for a moment." He almost spilled everywhere when he shoved the glass in Nathan's hand. Nathan watched curiously when Jonathan rummaged through his bag and pulled out a wrapped box. "Happy anniversary!" Jonathan smiled and put the box in Nathan's lap.

"You got me a present?" Nathan smiled. Jonathan nodded, and took his glass back. "You really didn't have to."

"I wanted to." Jonathan smiled. "Open it." He nodded at the package and smiled eagerly when Nathan opened it up. "Do you like it?" He asked, nervously biting his lip.

"I-... Yeah!" Nathan picked the watch out of the box.

"I know your old one broke." Jonathan mumbled. "Um..." he blushed. "L-Look closer." he said and scooted a little closer to the brunet.

Nathan inspected the watch closer, noticing the little numbers engraved on the bottom of the watch. "22 02 13." He read. "Our first date." He smiled to himself, putting the watch on and eying it. Jonathan smiled when he turned to look at him. "Thank you, I love it." Nathan murmured, kissing him.

"I love you." Jonathan said, this time with more confidence.

Nathan smiled and kissed him again. Jonathan gave a silent moan, and pulled away, blushing. He looked as if he'd just embarrassed himself, big time. He stuttered out some kind of inaudible excuse that Nathan laughed at and pulled him closer again.

"You're too cute." He laughed when Jonathan glared at him. "Oh, don't be like that, Jonathan." He murmured and nuzzled his nose against the crook of Jonathan's neck.

"Stop it." Jonathan pouted.

"Only if you smile." Nathan said. "You look so adorable pouting, but that smile just makes my day." He smiled. "Don't make me tickle you." He said when Jonathan defiantly shook his head. "I happen to know that you're really tickling right about... here!" He tickled Jonathan on the back of his neck.

"No, stop!" Jonathan squealed and tried to squirm away. "Okay, okay! I give up!" He whined and grabbed Nathan's wrists. "Nathan, I give up, stop it!" He begged but failed to hold back a chuckle. "You're mean." Jonathan said when Nathan laughed.

"Babe, come on." Nathan chuckled.

Jonathan shook his head, making his blond fringe tickle Nathan's cheek. "Don't babe me." he said.

Nathan grinned and pulled him closer. "I'm sorry, babe. But I gotta have some fun." He stopped when Jonathan frowned. "What's wrong?" He asked worriedly.

Jonathan pulled away. "I-I don't know." He mumbled.

"What does that mean?" Nathan asked and grabbed his hand.

Jonathan shrugged, and pulled his knees up to his chest, leaning his chin against them. "That I don't know." He said.

"Well, you have to, right? Are you in pain? Are you sad? Did I do something wrong?" Nathan asked and stroked his thumb over Jonathan's hand.

"I'm not in pain, and I'm not sad... and you did everything right." Jonathan mumbled. "I just... don't know. There's this weird thing that I don't really know what to make of it. I don't know what to do."

"Is it bad? Can I do anything?"

"I don't know." Jonathan repeated. "I just got it and... I haven't decided if it's good or bad yet."

Nathan nodded. "Okay."

"I'm sorry. D-Did I ruin everything now?" Jonathan asked. Nathan looked at him and shook his head, hugging Jonathan again.

"You didn't ruin anything. I don't know what you're worried about, or why you're feeling what you're feeling, but it's fine."

"You're not mad then?" Jonathan asked.

"Of course not!" Nathan couldn't help but chuckle. "I can't ever be mad with you. I love you." He placed a kiss on Jonathan's cheek.

Nathan drove Jonathan home that night, and followed him to the door. "Here." He said picking a small USB stick from his pocket. "It's for you, whenever you want to listen to your song, it's on here." He pressed the USB on Jonathan's hand.

Jonathan lit up into a smile and hugged him tightly. "Thank you, thank you, thank you! You're the best boyfriend in the world!" He said, making Nathan chuckle.

"Thank you." Nathan smiled down at the blond, and leaned down to kiss him. "Thank you for everything, you make everything better." He said with a smile and Jonathan blushed when Nathan kissed his cheek.

"Y-You're welcome." He said. "Um... I'll... um... call me." he stuttered nervously.

"I will." Nathan promised. "And... before I go... I just wanted to ask you... if you wanted to come and watch me play in the championship? I'd love to have you there. If you want to, that is."

"I'll come." Jonathan nodded excitedly. "I'll definitely be there." he promised.