Chapter 28

Nathan didn't bother with any kind of disguise or subtlety that day, and neither did Jonathan. Nathan drove to school and followed Jonathan to his locker, ignoring the group of girls that wanted his attention.

"I'll come around by lunch, okay? We can eat in the library if you want." He mumbled. Jonathan nodded. "Don't be sad, it'll be okay." Nathan gave his shoulder a gentle pat. "I mean it, don't worry about it." Nathan put two fingers under Jonathan's chin and tilted it up.

Jonathan gave a weak smile and nodded. "Okay." He said. "I'll see you later."

They walked their separate ways. The girls from before caught up with Nathan and followed him, like usual. He did talk to them and smiled a lot, mainly because he thought of Jonathan the entire time.

Nathan was surrounded by people all day, but he barely noticed them. The girls didn't notice how he didn't pay them much attention, and kept chatting, flirting and giggling around him. Nathan was simply smiling, and being generally nice, too tired of ignoring the girls who tried so hard to be noticed by him.

"Hey, Nathan." One of the girls tugged at his sleeve, gaining his actual attention. "Is it true that you were on a date last week?" She asked.

Nathan was a little taken aback by the question, but smiled softly. "Yeah, I was." He said.

Some of the girls gasped, and those who didn't started whispering to one another. "With who?" The same girl asked with a curious glint in her eyes.

Giving the girls a shy smile, Nathan blushed and cleared his throat. "Um..." He scratched the back of his neck. "It's kind of a secret." He mumbled awkwardly.

The girls all seemed to shriek in unison. "He's so sweet!" They whispered, loud enough for Nathan to hear it.

It was difficult to get to class when he was followed by a group on invasive girls but it was surprisingly easy to get rid of the during lunch, and head to the library even without his disguise. He was surprised to find that he'd arrived before Jonathan, since it was always Jonathan that waited around for him.

Nathan sat down and picked out his phone, checking for messages but found nothing of interest. He didn't want to send one already and just as he was about to put his phone away, a pair of hands covered his eyes.

"Guess who?"

Nathan chuckled. "Is it..." he left the sentence hanging and Jonathan let out a long sigh.

"It's me, dummy." He frowned.

"I know, Jonathan. I'm messing with you." Nathan grinned, ruffling Jonathan's hair.

"I knew you were." Jonathan smiled and sat down, leaning his head against Nathan's shoulder.

Nathan smiled. "I was thinking earlier. Um... You liked the date things, right? If you want... we can go out today, I have a few things in mind."

Jonathan lit up into a smile. "Really? Yeah, I want to!" he nodded.

"We can head out after school. But." He said, giving a serious look. "We might be out late."

Jonathan looked thoughtful, and furrowed his eyebrows. "How late?" he asked.

"I don't know. It depends." Nathan shrugged his shoulders. "You still wanna go?"

"Yeah I do." Jonathan smiled.

They ate together and then they went to their classes. Nathan had basketball practice too, but he managed to be let out early by the coach. The other players apparently needed more work. Nathan went to shower and change and then walked to Jonathan's locker and leaned against it, waiting for Jonathan.