Chapter 21

The next day was just as exciting as the one before. Nathan parked his car outside Jonathan's house, and they took the bus to school together. Nathan kept his friends in the dark, blaming his car for not starting. Josh looked worried, and Nathan wondered if he was worried about him, or the car.

Jonathan and Nathan had lunch at the same diner, and talked so long that when they finally looked at the clock they realized that they both would be late for their classes. When they got back to school they smiled at each other and split up.

Nathan hurried to get changed before his class, and apologized to the teacher for being late.

Josh and Oliver caught up with him after class. "Hey, Nate!" Josh called. "Wanna come with us to see the game tonight? Tigers versus Wolves, ya know." Josh winked.

Nathan chuckled. "Yeah, sounds great."

His friends both smiled. "Cool. We'll pick you up by seven." Oliver said.

Nathan looked forward to hanging out with Josh and Oliver. He hadn't in a while, and they always had something up their sleeves to make things more interesting. He told Jonathan about the game after school, and Jonathan just rolled his eyes and smiled.

They walked to the bus together, not minding that it was late, and told each other stories and jokes while waiting. The jokes and fooling around continued on the bus.

"So that dork finally got a friend." Nathan overheard some girl whisper. "They're probably equally miserable."

Nathan glared their way, but Jonathan gave his shoulder a nudge. "It's all right." He shook his head. "Don't listen to them."

They got off the bus at the next stop, and walked slowly to Jonathan's house. It was spring, and the weather was getting warmer. The two both were both happy about that. "Thanks for today." Jonathan said when they were outside his house. "Again, I had a great day."

Nathan smiled. "I did too."

Jonathan returned the smile, and waved before walking to the front door. "I guess I'll see you tomorrow." He reached for the doorknob.

"J-Jonathan!" Nathan stopped him, and Jonathan glanced over his shoulder to look at him. "W-... Would you like to go out with me?" Nathan blurted out.

-x0x-

Jennie looked up from the sink when she heard the door open and close. "Nathan, is that you?" She called, but only got a grunt in reply. Moments later he appeared in the doorway. "What's wrong, sweetie?" Jennie asked, and put the plate she washed away.

Nathan looked at her with two hopeless looking eyes. "I just asked Jonathan out." He sighed, seating himself by the table and hid his face in his arms.

"Well." Jennie smiled carefully. "What did he say?" She walked over to him. "Honey, did he say no?" She asked worriedly.

Nathan looked up again, a smile lighting his whole face up. "He said yes."

Jennie lit up into a smile. "Oh, sweetheart!" She hugged him. "I told you it would go just fine! I'm so happy for you!" She cheered.

"Y-Yeah. I can't believe it. He really said yes." he said, chuckling. "We're going out tomorrow night." He smiled happily.

"That's wonderful." Jennie said.

Nathan was beyond happy. It felt as if nothing could bring him down. He skipped all the way up to his room, and flopped down on his bed and buried his face in the pillow. Replaying him asking Jonathan out over, and over again.

"W-Would you like to go out with me?" Nathan asked.

Jonathan stopped in his tracks, and turned around to stare at Nathan. Nathan watched him nervously, feeling his cheeks heat up. He gulped, not taking his eyes off of Jonathan. "You mean... like a date?" Jonathan asked hesitantly.

Nathan gulped again. Jonathan had just given him a chance to take it all back by saying no. Nathan hesitated, but decided to nod. "Yes. Like a date."He said.

Jonathan continued to stare at him for a little while, then turned his head and looked at the door. Nathan started to get seriously nervous. Had he just screwed up? "A-All right." Jonathan mumbled.

Nathan didn't believe his ears at first. "Really?"

Shrugging, Jonathan turned to look at him again. "S-Sure. I mean.. I have nothing to lose... except you, I guess." He said, cheeks tinged pink.

Now it was Nathan's time to stare. Had Jonathan really just said yes? "You won't lose me. I'll always be your friend."

Jonathan smiled. "Then yes."