Chapter 27

"Mom, stop it!" Jonathan whined, frowning at his mother who stood in the small kitchen stomping her foot against the linoleum floor.

"Don't you dare say that to me! How could you, Jonathan? I thought I raised you differently!"

Nathan furrowed his eyebrows and continue into the house. "Jonathan?" he called out and stepped into the kitchen.

"Nathan." Jonathan hurried to his side.

"Why are you yelling at him?!" Nathan glared at Maria. He was still angry, but Jonathan panicking made it very difficult to stay angry, and not worried.

Maria glared daggers at him. "It's not right, that's why. It's wrong, and horrible. I would never had thought that of you, Nathan." She shook her head. "And you." She hissed at Jonathan. "You're nothing better than dirt! You're just like him! A stupid fag!"

"Mom, s-stop-"

"Don't tell me what to do!" Maria shouted.

Nathan grabbed a hold of Jonathan's arm, shaking his head. "Jonathan, come on." He said. Pushing Jonathan towards the door.

Maria seemed to freeze where she stood. "W-What do you think you're doing?" She yelled.

"I'm taking him home." Nathan said blankly. "He's sure as hell not staying here." He gently dragged Jonathan out the door and down to his car.

"N-Nathan..." Jonathan whined.

"Wait!" Maria hurried to the door. "Please, don't leave." She frowned.

Nathan shook his head. "Jonathan's staying with me today. He'll come back when you've calmed down, and accept him." He said and then turned to Jonathan. "Get in the car, please." He commanded softly, and Jonathan nodded before getting into the car.

Maria frowned and watched sadly when Nathan pulled out of the driveway and drove off.

Nathan drove home. He didn't say anything. He was so mad that he was angry that he'd yell at Jonathan too, and he really didn't want to do that. Jonathan sobbed all the way to Nathan's house and had trouble seeing anything with his watery eyes.

When Nathan parked the car and turned the engine on he finally turned to look at Jonathan. "Are you all right?" He asked. Jonathan shook his head. "Are you hurt? I heard glass shattering."

"Yeah, I... I cut myself." Jonathan held out his hand. He was bleeding a little, but not too badly.

"All right, come with me. You'll be okay." Nathan lead Jonathan inside.

Nathan asked him to sit down while he went and got the first aid kit box from the bathroom. He carefully cleaned the cut and wrapped it in gauze before giving Jonathan a careful smile. "There. Are you feeling better?" Jonathan shook his head. "I'm sorry, Jonathan. I shouldn't have done that. I got angry, and I-"

"It's fine. I'm glad you got me out of there." Jonathan mumbled.

"I'm sorry. I dragged you into this whole thing... I'm sorry." Nathan repeated.

Jonathan shook his head. "No. Thanks you, I don't know what I would have done if you hadn't shown up." he leaned forwards and gave Nathan a hug.

Nathan let out a sigh, and smiled weakly. "Okay." He pulled away. "Are you hungry?" He asked to get away from the sad subject. "Jennie made some dinner, I'll put some in the micro, yeah?"

Nathan smiled again when Jonathan nodded. He warmed two plates of food up and they ate during silence. "You won't have to sleep in the couch this time." Nathan chuckled. "You'll get the guestroom if you want."

Jonathan nodded and followed him upstairs. He got the room next to Nathan's and was lent some clothes to sleep in. Nathan gave him another smiled and turned to leave him alone. "Wait!" Jonathan said when Nathan opened the door. "Please don't go. Can't you... stay here. Just until I fall asleep?"

Hesitating, Nathan nodded and walked back to the bed, seating himself on the floor and giving Jonathan a weak smile. "I'll stay until you fall asleep." He promised.

Nathan woke up when something hit him over the head. He slowly opened his eyes and looked around. He had to think a while to remember where he was, sitting on the floor in the guest room leaning over the edge of the bed. He rubbed his eyes, and stretched his legs.

He found his boyfriend sleeping peacefully just a few inches away. He smiled, and realized that it must have been Jonathan that hit him. He grabbed Jonathan's hand, that dangled over the edge of the bed, and carefully placed it back on the soft mattress.

Jonathan stirred awake. "W-What?" He squinted his eyes.

Nathan gave an apologetic smile. "Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you up." He said.

Jonathan sat up and looked around in the room after rubbing the sleep out of his eyes. "Did you fall asleep here last night?" He asked.

"Yeah... I guess I did." Nathan said.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked you to stay." Jonathan mumbled.

"It's fine. Anything for you. Besides, I think I fell asleep before you did." He confessed in a whisper. Jonathan smiled, and flopped back down to lie on his back. "Did you sleep well?" Nathan asked.

Jonathan yawned. "Yeah. Thanks for bringing me home." He said.

Nathan got up from the floor, groaning. "No problem. Want some breakfast? It's a school day after all."

Frowning, Jonathan turned over in bed. "I guess, but Nathan... I have all my stuff at my house. My school bag, clothes, and everything."

"We'll go and get them." He said. "We go there before school and pick them up, okay?"

They had breakfast together after getting dressed, none of them were really up for talking. Both deep in thoughts and charging for what awaited at Jonathan's house.

When they were ready, the got into the car and drove to Jonathan's house. "Please come with me." Jonathan whispered when they sat outside. Nathan nodded, and followed him. "Mom?" Jonathan called when he opened the door. "Are you there?" He walked and peeked into his mother's bedroom.

"You're back." Maria muttered, not even looking at her son.

"Mom, please don't be mad with me." Jonathan begged. His mother snorted at him, and he frowned. "Are you all right?" He asked and stepped into the room.

Maria persistently avoided to look at him. "I'm fine. I'm not a baby." She snapped.

Jonathan went a head to look after her for a couple of minutes, and Nathan stayed outside. Maria was still upset and he was sure that he'd become angry again if he went in there too. He decided to go and look for Jonathan's backpack, and found it in his room by his desk.

"Nathan." Jonathan appeared in the door. "She's still angry. What should I do?" He asked with a frown.

Nathan gave him a concerned look. "I don't know. I don't think you should stay here when she's acting the way she does. I don't want her yelling at you." He mumbled.

"She needs me." Jonathan said. "I can't just leave her all by herself. Besides, where am I supposed to go?"

Nathan walked up to him and offered a tired smile. "You're always welcome at my place. I'd love to have you over." He suggested.

Jonathan blushed, averting his eyes. "I don't know... Mom really needs me here. M-Maybe I should stay..."

"I'm with you whatever you chose to do." Nathan smiled down at him.

"I... need the day to think about it." Jonathan said. "I'll make up my mind after school." He took the bag Nathan held and went into his mother's bedroom. "Mom, I'm going to school now. I'll come back later, okay?" Maria kept ignoring him and Jonathan gave a frown before exiting the room. "Let's go."