53

Walking into ZPD, Judy dragged herself through the main floor, where Ben took a glance, already noticing what was wrong with this picture.

"Nick walked in just about an hour ago." He informed. "But he doesn't seem like he came here early for a good reason."

Judy's eyes rose in panic, and she looked away. "Oh...I see."

"Did something happen?" Ben leaned on the counter with his donut in hand and pouted.

"N-No...why?"

"Well..." Benjamin recalled. "I don't know if it's just me, but when I asked Nick how he was, he gave me this despicable glare, as though I'm trespassing on his territory. So I backed off and apologized. And since this morning, I haven't seen him."

Judy sighed in distress. "Yeah...I figured."

"So, something did happen?" Ben concluded.

Judy kept walking, tuning out Ben's plea to get an ear on what's going on.

Strolling through the halls to her office, she stopped red handedly, jumping up to see who was inside.

Nick sat at his desk, which was pushed farther away than usual, so that he wouldn't even have to look at Judy when she walks in. His ear plugs were in, and he stared at his desk full of books and papers with a pen in hand.

Judy turned around and leaned on the door, feeling extremely anxious. Judy hasn't felt this terrified since the incident of what happened between her and her parents when they were dining at the table. Now that she thought about it, she rejected her parents despite the fact that they're trying to mend a wounded heart.

"I don't have anyone else to turn to at this point..." She exhaled bitterly.

"Wait---I didn't come to work just to please Nick. I decided to be an officer on my own." She fist bumped her chest. "Allowing workmates to make me feel belittled is not a choice."

Distracting herself and pushing her feelings aside, she mustered up enough courage to walk in through the door.

Judy quickly broke eye contact with the back of Nick's head when she saw he was about to slightly turn to see who came in. But he stopped himself, gripping his pen even tighter.

The awkward silence penetrated the air, and the tension within the room was overbearing. Judy fidgeted ever so often, which made her sweat intensify.

When Nick fidgeted, Judy's body would tense up. For some reason, she felt as though Nick was trying to sneak up on her and strangle her. But she had to destroy all sorts of those thoughts right away. "Prey and Predator flock together; we remain peaceful now and forever..." Judy mumbled very lowly, shutting her eyes tight.

A low cough came from Nick, easing Judy's fear. He was still seated at his desk.

Judy went into her desk, pulling out some files. "Okay..."

As minutes passed, Judy sighed, resting her head in her paw, and tapped her desk. She was hopeless in her trance. She just couldn't focus, just thinking about how cold and eerie it is to be working in the same room with her now 'ex'. The sheer thought of reality brought a fade tear to her eye.

Wiping the tear off forcefully, Judy sniffled and returned to her duty. After so, she puts them away, taking her leave.

Hearing the door shut, Nick sighed to himself. His thoughts were vague and dull. He simply left his feelings alone and kept working.

Walking down the halls to the activity room, Judy noticed Angel in the gym room, boxing a punching bag brutally. She gulped, holding her breath, and knocked.

Angel glanced at the door and furrowed her eyebrows. Not seeing anyone at the door, she rolled her eyes and continued punching the bag.

Judy walked inside, already feeling regret.

"H-Hi Angel..."

Angel looked at Judy and grimaced, and resumed her punching. "What do you want?" Angel questioned through heavy breaths.

Judy rubbed her shoulder and looked away. "I just wanted...to um...talk to you...since you were around right now---if that's okay with you, that is..."

Angel stopped, wiping the sweat off her brow. "No, it's not okay."

"I-I figured you'd say that, but, I really need to talk with you." Judy took a step forward.

"For what? You have something else to fess up?" Angel asked suspiciously.

"N-No! Nothing like that! It's just that...that night with Alec...it didn't go as I thought it would..."

"Ya think?" Angel said, "You really thought that you could hide that from us forever?"

"It's not that I wanted to! It's just that, I was afraid to tell you guys because I was scared that you guys wouldn't believe me!"

"Believe you? Believe you about what? The fact that you and Alec kissed? Are you kidding me?"

Judy shook her head. "No! I didn't kiss Alec! He-"

"You didn't kiss Alec? So then why did he mention it then?"

"He told you only half of the story!!!"

"OH, so now there's another half to it then!"

"Angel, please! Just let me explain!"

"You know what Judy? I actually started to like you for who you are. Intelligent, smart, funny, cool, a great person to look up to...but now that I keep hearing you and your excuses...you just proved to me that I was wrong about you."

Judy remained quiet, her heart thumping rapidly.

"And it's funny, because now it all makes sense..." Angel muttered, a reluctant grin plastered on her lips. "The fact that...Alec always spoke about you...he always compared me to you, like as if you were better than me...I used to think that you were...but then I also began thinking that Alec must have done something more...more than just ... 'admire' you. It's so clear to me now. You both are not honest at all. You've revealed to me how much higher I am as a predator, than a prey like you is. The fact that I trusted you...and wanted to look up to you..." Angel balled her fists. "...not anymore." Angel walked up to Judy and gripped her by her collar, lifting her in the air. "Because of you...my chances of being happy is down to a zero, because not only did my boyfriend cheat on me with the girl that I cared for, but he cheated on me with the rabbit that has a boyfriend that I had strong feelings for."

Angel tossed Judy away, as she shook, backing away to the door. "I could have been a better girlfriend to Nick that you clearly could never to be..."

And with that, Judy's eyes lit with astonishment and hurt. The tension her heart and her eyes felt were clashing too great for her to bare any emotion to control.

Angel turned away, and began to tense up. "Now I see why my parents told me that prey and predators can't be together..." Covering her face, she began to cry, from the deep pits of her heart.

Judy got up, wiping her eyes, and left the room. She bit her lower lip, leaning on the door and covered her eyes. Hey body shook with great anxiety and she began to bawl her eyes out. "I can't do this...I just can't do this anymore..." She ejected.

Nick stood from down the hallway, staring at her.