BOOK 2- CHAPTER 7

"So, you're Mr. Renard?"

"I already confirmed your question, so yes."

Judy and Nick looked at each other, disturbed by this awful twist.

"Mr. Renard," Judy began. "We've come to see you today because we found something on your invitation that is deemed rather—prejudice and racially profound in your print."

The arctic fox raised an eyebrow at the rabbit's claim. "Yes?"

Judy glowered at how uncaring the fox was.

"Mr. Renard," Nick cuts in, pulling out the invitation on his phone. "We've noticed that you have banned foxes from partaking at your event, and we have decided to investigate your reasoning behind such a decision."

"Especially. When this party is a public event!" Judy sneered.

Lowering his head at the bunny, Mr. Renard sighed. "Listen, I am aware of what circumstances my party is under, and what I have written. But was it necessary to bring this fox cop to me, as though I am supposed to connect with him?"

Furious by the fox's disrespect, Judy marched up to Mr. Renard. "First of all, give Nick some respect! He's worked hard to get to where he is today—to help foxes everywhere earn the respect they deserve!"

"How cute, but that is none of my concern."

Seeing that the two's argument was proving futile, Nick pulled Judy back and tried to reason with him. "Mr. Renard, it is really concerning how you have restricted foxes—let alone, your own kind—from participating. There must be a legitimate reason why you've made this decision."

"What are you doing?!" Judy hissed. Don't give him an excuse to feel his decision is justified!"

"Trust me Judy, the best way to get unruly animals to talk is by playing the good cop, bad cop."

Sighing, Judy yielded and decided to follow Nick's lead.

"Actually, there is!" Mr. Renard cried. Turning on his heel, the arctic fox invited the two cops to follow him. "You see, in times past, I have hosted these events for the mere pleasure of allowing the rich—even commoners—to enjoy something grandeur. A place that feels like paradise, with no troubles, no worries, and no threats. And yet, time and time again, something was always happening. A fox was causing trouble. And it was never the same one. A different one always intruded and caused havoc. They stole ornaments and food. They've even stolen instruments—instruments that was intended for them and the orchestra to play for my audiences! After two years of dealing with that nonsense, I've decided to put an end to this foolishness and ban foxes altogether." Taking a breather, Mr. Renard pinched the bridge of his nose. "Yes, I am fully aware that I have shun my own kind away. But I cannot allow my kind to ruin the image that I am trying to build here in Zootopia. If they cannot respect my will and my plans for the future, then they will by no means have a part in it."

As unfair Mr. Renard's claim seemed, Nick saw that he had a point. "Even so, I am so sorry that our fellow canines cannot get themselves together. Indeed, what they are doing is putting a bad name on us foxes."

"Exactly! I was tired of the ridicule. My co-partners were even suggesting that I was the one behind the madness! They were defaming me when I had no part with these thoughtless dogs!" Huffing, the arctic fox breathed in and exhaled.

"Well, Mr. Renard, I appreciate you taking out the time to explain your side of the story." Glancing down at Judy, Nick noticed how her eyes softened. "Judy, is there anything you'd like to input?"

Startled out of her trance, Judy cleared her throat. "Yes, actually..." Looking up at Mr. Renard, the rabbit spoke. "Although your fellow foxes had wronged you in many ways, I would like you to make an exception."

"Oh, let me guess—you want me to allow your boyfriend over here to enter my party huh? Fine. Being that you are a cop after all...the ZPD had to deem even you trustworthy to work under them. He's invited."

"Not just Nick, Mr. Renard." Judy insinuated. "I want you to allow foxes to join the party. But, if you feel as though they'll cause trouble, then have bouncers at the entrance check everyone who comes in. Not just foxes."

Mr. Renard was outraged by Judy's idea. "And why would I do that? My other guests never cause any trouble!"

"Well, you never know why those foxes did what they did during your parties, either."

"Envy, of course!"

"And you expect your own kind to take a liking to you with that attitude? Have you even taken the time to discuss these matters with any of them?"

"Oh, you make it sound so easy, officer, you do."

"It wouldn't hurt to try."

"Okay, how about this," Nick stepped in front of the fox, towering over him. "Remove your restriction on foxes, or else we'll shut down your party asap. Officer Hopps and I could be undercover at your party to make sure nothing goes wrong." Nick smirked. "It's your call."

Mr. Renard pondered on the offer.

"This is a very easy decision, Mr. Renard." Judy added. Pulling out her carrot pen and notepad, Judy tapped the utensil on the paper. "We can do this the easy way, or we can take down your party, and charge you for discriminating against foxes—your own kind. It will also be all over the Zootopia media, because Zootopia does not tolerate any sort of discrimination. It's still racism, whether or not you are singling out your own kind."

Grunting, Mr. Renard threw his hands in the air. "Fine! Fine! I'll allow these stupid foxes to join my event! But, you two better bring some back up. Because if I see anything go wrong at my party, I swear—I will take you to court, and sue the both of you for even causing a scene at my residence, and blackmailing me!"

"Oh, really?" Judy glared.

"Yes, it is my word against yours."

"Actually," Holding the pen out to Mr. Renard, Judy replayed Mr. Renard's words. "It's your words against yours. We look forward to seeing you on your big day!" Grinning ear to ear, the rabbit tapped on Nick. "Let's go, we've done our business here."

Impressed by Judy's clever moves once again, Nick nonchalantly slapped her butt. "What a naughty bunny, you are."

Blushing profusely, Judy yelped. "Nick! We're on duty! You can't do that in front of everyone!"

Mr. Renard arched an eyebrow at the couple and gagged. "What an awfully paired set of wayward animals..."