"Chill, I only wanted to check if your face could still show expression."

"Well, I am so glad you chose me." Bennett said in such a satisfied tone that I even eased to blush a little. "Really so glad."

"I do hope it'll be the right choice." I muttered to myself. The moment of decision had passed, and the moment for action as yet to come, what lay in between was a mixture of confusion, practise, and determination.

We were sitting across each other, and suddenly he leaned in and nodded his head slowly. Oh no, that was me speaking to myself. It would definitely be embarrassing if he heard it.

"I know it will." He replied.

I straightened up. "You heard that? Oh, I'm sorry! I swear I didn't mean it in the sense in which the words sound. It's just that...you haven't modelled before, and this is a national pageant..." My voice trailed off.

"Trust me." He said comfortingly.

I smiled a bit at him, still not completely relaxed.

He exhaled loudly and stood up. "Fine, perhaps it will help you if I show you some of my skills?" He smiled mischievously. "Beginning with my poise." He struck a dramatic pose, making me chuckle immediately.

"Go on." I gasped for breath. "That is helping."

"And then I'll show you a glimpse of my expression chart." He announced dramatically like a sports announcer, before shooting at me a wide smile, followed by a confused look, then an angry frown, then a sad sulk, and lastly a pout and a wink.

I laughed, clutching my sides. "You are amazing, Bennett, simply amazing."

He went on, pretending to ignore my laughter. "And I'll end this wonderful audition for which I know I've already been selected, with a ramp walk." He held his head high and began strutting across the ground, squinching with his eyes and smiling conservatively.

"You are better than I thought, pardon me for underestimating your expert modelling skills!" I grinned widely, all the tension wiped off my attitude.

"Fine, I'll forgive you on one condition." He smiled, taking large breaths as he settled down next to me again. "After we win the competition together, you let me take you on another date."

I dimpled. "Well, that's a condition I won't have to think twice about before accepting."

"That's settled then." He smiled again.

"You smile a lot, you know." I said suddenly.

"And that's not good because...?"

"Oh sure it's good." I patted his shoulder. "I just felt like speaking and I spoke without thinking about it. The usual." Then I smiled a bit. "In fact, researchers say smiling guys attract more girls."

"Well, are you attracted?" He winked, and smiled even wider.

"More doesn't mean the best. I said, it attracts more girls, not the best girl of the century." I said edgily, leaning back in my chair with a bit of sudden haughtiness.

"You're terrifically unpredictable." He sighed.

"I love that I am. Why should anyone ever know what you will do next?" I replied defiantly. "It only makes you vulnerable."

"Fine, I'll be unpredictable from now on too, let's see how you like it." Bennett said, staring right into my eyes. He kept the gaze intense for a few moments before suddenly leaping up from his bench.

"Wet paint?" I asked meekly.

"No, I'm gonna get myself a Joe's candy stick at this very moment, because you could never have predicted from my Sherlock Holmes stare what I was going to do next, and this seems unpredictable to me. You want one?" He said, energetically.