Chapter 56

*Juliet's P.O.V*

"Maybe both of us should tell them Sirius" Remus suggested. He nodded taking a step back.

"Tell them whatever you like. But make it quick, Remus. I want to commit the murder I was imprisoned for..."

"Sirius!" I hissed sending him a glare, he wasn't like this. But I guess this is what prison does to you.

"Nutters both of you, Juls you don't believe them do you?" Ron asked, I nodded. "Right I'm off" He said again trying to get up. I got out my wand, as did Remus.

"Ron hear me out, just keep hold of Peter whilst you listen" Remus said,

"HES NOT PETER, HES SCABBERS!" Ron shouted getting up on his good leg but as Peter tried to get out of his hands he fell, but Tom caught him and put him on the bed. Harry turned to Remus,

"There were witnesses who saw Pettigrew die," he said. "A whole street full of them..."

"They didn't see what they thought they saw!" Sirius said savagely, still watching Scabbers-well Peter struggling in Ron's hands.

"Everyone thought Sirius killed Peter," Remus said, nodding. "I believed it myself -- until I saw the map tonight. Because the Marauder's map never lies...Peter's alive. Ron's holding him, Harry."

I noticed that Ron and Harry shared a look, they still think all three of us are nutters.

"But Professor Lupin...Scabbers can't be Pettigrew...it just can't be true, you know it can't..." Hermione piped up, her voice unsteady.

"Why can't it be true?" Remus and I said. Remu calmly but I snapped. She stood still for a second trying to put her words together.

"Because... because people would know if Peter Pettigrew had been an Animagus. We did Animagi in class with Professor McGonagall. And I looked them up when I did my homework -- the Ministry of Magic keeps tabs on witches and wizards who can become animals; there's a register showing what animal they become, and their markings and things...and I went and looked Professor McGonagall up on the register, and there have been only seven Animagi this century, and Pettigrew's name wasn't on the list."

"That's right Hermione" Remus laughed, "But-" He tried to say.

"They didn't know about the four running around Hogwarts!" I laughed as well, holding up my hands for both Remus and Sirius to high five me. Siri did of course, Remu just stared at me giving me a 'are-you-for-real?' look. I slowly lowered my hand as Sirius snorted, I turned to playfully glare at him.

"If you're going to tell them the story, get a move on, Remus," Sirius said, he had turned to watch Peter's every desperate move. "I've waited twelve years, I'm not going to wait much longer."

"All right...but you'll need to help me, Sirius," Remus said, "I only know how it began..."

Remus broke off. There had been a loud creak behind him. The bedroom door had opened of its own accord. All seven of us stared at it. Then Remus strode toward it and looked out into the landing.

"No one there..."

"This place is haunted!" said Ron.

"It's not,' I said, Ron gave me a confused look. I turn to Remus who was still looking at the door in a puzzled way. "The Shrieking Shack was never haunted...The screams and howls the villagers used to hear were made by me." He answered, I felt a couple of tears run down my face. He didn't deserve this. 

He pushed his greying hair out of his eyes, and looked at my tears running down my face then said, "That's where all of this starts -- with me becoming a werewolf, None of this could have happened if I hadn't been bitten...and if I hadn't been so foolhardy..."