Chapter 45

A lot of this chapter is going to be text from POA

Juls P.O.V

At eight o'clock on Thursday evening, Harry and I left Gryffindor Tower for the History of Magic classroom. It was dark and empty when we arrived, but I lit the lamps with my wand and we waited only five minutes when Remu turned up, carrying a large packing case, which he heaved onto Professor Binn's desk.

"What's that?" said Harry.

"Another Boggart," said Lupin, stripping off his cloak. "I've been combing the castle ever since Tuesday, and very luckily, I found this one lurking inside Mr. Filch's filing cabinet. It's the nearest we'll get to a real Dementor. The Boggart will turn into a Dementor when he sees you, so we'll be able to practice on him. I can store him in my office when we're not using him; there's a cupboard under my desk he'll like."

"Okay," said Harry, trying to sound as though he wasn't apprehensive at all and merely glad that Remu had found such a good substitute for a real Dementor.

"So..." Professor Lupin had taken out his own wand, and indicated that we should do the same. "The spell I am going to try and teach you is highly advanced magic, Harry. And Juls by all the books you read I'm sure you'll know it but it's-- well beyond Ordinary Wizarding Level. It is called the Patronus Charm."

"How does it work?" said Harry nervously. I smiled at him taking his hand into mine.

"Well, when it works correctly, It conjures up a Patronus," said Lupin, "which is a kind of anti-Dementor -- a guardian that acts as a shield between you and the Dementor." Remu looked at me and gave me a look to continue so I did

"The Patronus is a kind of positive force, a projection of the very things that the Dementor feeds upon -- hope, happiness, the desire to survive -- but it cannot feel despair, as real humans can, so the Dementors can't hurt it." Remu nodded then added,

"But I must warn you, Harry, that the charm might be too advanced for you. Many qualified wizards have difficulty with it."

"What does a Patronus look like?" said Harry curiously.

"Each one is unique to the wizard who conjures it." I said,

Harry's P.O.V

"And how do you conjure it?" I asked them,

"With an incantation, which will work only if you are concentrating, with all your might, on a single, very happy memory."

I looked about in my mind for a happy memory. Certainly, nothing that had happened to me at the Dursleys' was going to do. Finally, I settled on the moment when I had first ridden a broomstick.

"Right," I said, trying to recall as exactly as possible the wonderful, soaring sensation of it in my stomach.

"The incantation is this --" Lupin cleared his throat. "Expecto patronum!"

"Expecto patronum," I repeated under my breath I looked over at Juls to see her doing the same, "Expecto patronum."

"Concentrating hard on your happy memory?"

"Oh yeah " I said, quickly forcing my thoughts back to that first broom ride. "Expecto patrono -- no, patronum -- sorry -- expecto patronum, expecto patronum"