Memories

"So tell me," Jess smiled as she and Kate walked down the carpeted hallways, "What was the first ever meeting like?"

Kate chuckled, rolling her eyes, "Nothing great. I was tiny."

"No sparks right off the bat? No thunder strike--no violins?"

Kate grinned, placing her arm around her as they walked forward, "Well, let's see. We were dropped to the Home late at night and were sent straight to bed, and in the morning, I rushed to the dining room to find Will. I was his shadow, you see."

"It's difficult to believe that your annoying brother is actually sweet, but go ahead."

Kate smiled, "So I was bobbing up and down trying to find Will, and I bumped into this tall boy!"

Jess perked up, "Ooh, it's getting good."

Kate grinned, "He turned around, this good looking boy, considering me in surprise, and oh, I was totally struck dumb."

"Ohh..." Jess said dreamily, "Did you know he was the one right then?"

"No, but I did think he was the nicest looking boy I had ever seen. He oozed charm. And to tell you the truth, the way I felt when he looked at me then, the jittery tummy as if I'd swallowed hot honey, the blushing and the sheer awe...I still feel it sometimes when I look at him."

"Oh, Kate." Jess slumped breathlessly, breathing, "that's so sweet..."

"Anyways, he peered at me and extended his hand kindly. "Hi there, I'm Luke." he said, and I stared at him like an idiot."

"Katey!"

Kate turned, her surprised smile giving way to a grin when she saw Will coming towards her. Grinning back, he threw an arm around her, dropping an affectionate kiss on her temple.

"And then Will found me." Kate said wryly.

"Jess. How are you?"

Jess responded to his greeting before looking at Kate eagerly, "Kate, I wanna know what happened! You stared at him dumbly, and then what?"

"And then Will found me." Kate repeated, smiling, "That's the way it happened. He came up to me while I was standing there like an idiot, and shook Luke's hand."

"What are we talking about?" Will inquired.

"When we first met Luke."

"Ah." Will said in realization. He frowned, "I don't think I remember."

"I do. You shook hands like adults, right in the middle of the breakfast." Remembering his remark to Mark about their first meeting, she murmured happily, "I think Luke remembers too."

"So that was it?" Jess looked disappointed, "No epic one liners to hint at your destiny?"

Kate smiled, "Well...he did stoop down to look at me again. I hadn't replied to his greeting and by then I was huddling by Will's side and probably peeking at him like he was unclaimed candy. He smiled at me and said..."

"What?"

Kate smiled. She remembered it clearly, the handsome young face, with eyes crinkling in friendliness, saying, "Shy one, isn't she?"

"That's what he said?" Jess blinked.

"That's what he said." Kate confirmed. Will blinked.

"You have the memory of an elephant." he said.

Jess sighed, moaning. "Ah, I'm so jealous, Kitty Kat. You remember the cutest things about him."

"There's more where that came from?" Will asked in disbelief, brows raised.