Calm Before The Storm

Soon, they established a pattern, and much to her surprise, Kate found herself enjoying her stay at Greymark Hotels and Villas.

After college and a tiring shift at work--and sometimes a session with her therapist--Kate trudged to her apartment only long enough to change shower into her clothes and to make herself feel like she wasn't completely wasting the rent. Following which, she hurried off the to cottage before it got too cold, mindful of the need to feed the fish. She found herself carrying little tasks that needed to be done to the cottage, until soon most of her books and her laptop had found a permanent home in the cottage, with her apartment serving as a very--very--expensive closet.

Luke found her after work, and unlike her, he hadn't insisted on keeping his clothes in his apartment. He threw some of his sleeping clothes in the cupboard, and would come to the cottage straight from his work. She didn't admit it to him, but it thrilled her to see him disappear into the bathroom all chill professionalism and emerge moments later, showered and fresh, transforming into an approachable every day guy. A very sexy every day guy.

At first it was all very formal. Once he arrived, they would dim the lights and she would snuggle into bed whether she wanted to sleep or not, watching her fish--er, Greymark's fish--until they lulled her to sleep. But a few days in, and they seemed to settle into a more natural routine where everything wasn't so clear cut and impersonal.

Luke would often come in to find her propped into her stomach on the bed, studying or scribbling in a book, and she even let him see some of illustrations she was working on. One night, they tried the small television in the cabin--it had awful reception--and ended up watching a game into the night, sprawled onto the couch in front. They woke up on it early in the morning, confused and a tangle of limbs on the couch.

It wasn't just the routine that changed, however. Kate found herself talking to him, telling him things with the ease of an afterthought.

There was just something about him, in his calm, quiet strength and fathomless brown eyes that made talking to him effortless.  When she spoke, he seemed to listen, and not the calm detached silence of a therapist. She felt, as she spoke, that he wanted to genuinely hear every word pouring out of her mouth.

"What was it like growing up with John and Doreen?" Luke asked quietly a few days later. They were both sitting crossed legged in the middle of the cottage, the little TV blaring unheard in the background. The freshly emptied beer bottle they were spinning between them had come to a stop on her.

She took a deep breath, thinking of how to formulate her answer. "Supportive." she finally said, "Always supportive of me doing things myself."

Luke absorbed that thoughtfully.

She continued, "Whenever I wanted to do something and was afraid, they would encourage me to decide the right course of action. Of course they were there if needed, but I was always expected to take the first step myself..." Kate stared off into the distance, then laughed softly at a memory, "Doreen would make me walking the living room with a book over my head, telling me that a good posture led to a good attitude. She was so kind about it, always knowing to stop when I couldn't take it anymore, giving effusive encouragement for the tiniest improvement..."

"I'm sorry you lost her." Luke said quietly.

"Yes." Kate whispered, "Me too."

The bottle landed on him, "Have you ever fallen in love?"

His gaze flew up to hers, "What sort of love are we talking about?" he asked carefully.

"Oh, you know." she gestured idly even as her insides tensed, "Have you ever had a serious girlfriend, fallen in love, etcetera? Why, while I was still in the orphanage, many girls were primed to offer themselves to you, so I'm sure you never lacked in options."