The Conquering Knight

The henchmen whipped out their guns, looking scared more than enraged as the sirens blared around deafeningly, sending pulses rocketing. They pointed their firearms blindly and, screaming, she reacted instinctively. She took off at a run, her world narrowing down to a single intent, and flung herself over Will. The chair toppling, the two of them crashing to the ground just as bullets rained.

Will groaned in agony as she covered him, her cheek to his, groaning her name, his voice hoarse from yelling. She wasn't aware of anything but the bullets raining around them, plugging the car and the wall, blowing bits of dust and insulation over them. Her body jerked, and she draw closer to Will in response, making herself as small as she could without exposing him any more than necessary.

"No. No!" Will snarled, "Katey..."

A high pitched sound seemed to occlude her ears, transporting her into a hazy world pulsing of fear where she was reduced to a protective shield, unseeing and unfeeling except for the warm breath of her brother washing over her neck. She didn't know how many minutes passed, and it was long moments before she felt a sound fracture the cottony recesses of her mind.

"I'm going in!"

"Do not move until we secure the area. There're armed felons--"

"I don't care!"

There were some more yells that did not register. The only reason that that voice penetrated her mind was because she knew it so well it slid like honey over her ears, and she turned her face, resting her forehead idly over Will's cheek to see the dark haired man duck inside, throwing himself against the two villains, framed by flashing lights of the police cars.

And then he was a twist of fury, punching and kicking the two men with the force that seemed enough for ten men. They were no match for him in his rage, and he was reducing them to rubble like so much tissue paper in a few short, breath taking moments.

She must have taken a shuddering breath of admiration.

"Knows how to fight." Will muttered from somewhere above her, "Learned after Graham almost killed him."

She blinked slowly, drinking in the sight of that beautiful face vanquishing her enemies with pounding blows. He was like something from a movie, his face twisted in protective rage as his fists landed with punishing force.

Some rationality trickled back in. "Luke knows how to fight?"

Will grunted. "Well, so do I."

"You got yourself kidnapped." she remembered to point out.

"There were more of them then! But, yea. 'Course he knows how to fight--we both learned to watch out for ourselves. Next time someone points a gun at one've us, it most probably won't be empty."

She let out a sigh, smiling happily. "He wears a suit, and he can vanquish enemies. He's magnificent."

Will's longsuffering groan had her jerking her face up. "Give me space before saying such things, Kate, so that I can puke."

She glanced at him, catching his gaze. Two pairs of identical blue eyes locked silently

Slowly her ears came alive with buzzing sensation, permitting distant sounds of yells and struggle . Her blissful haze slowly disappeared, and reality crashed in. This wasn't a movie.

She had just shot someone.

Two guys had just shot at them. They could have killed Will. They could have gone on and hurt Luke in the future.

For them, she'd do it again.

Several minutes passed as they studied each other.

"If you do this again," Will finally whispered, "I will kill you."