Deeper Hole

He tasted of warmth. Of happiness. Of desire. He tasted so addicting she couldn't get enough. She felt herself reaching deeper and deeper, pulling him until he was plastered to her, his scent invading her senses. She was drowning. She would drown if he pulled away. She would never let him stop.

This was Luke. Luke Marshal. And it felt like she'd waited for this her whole life.

It was several moments--several lifetimes--before she registered the ache in her chest, the need to breathe, and even as everything within her rebelled against it, she pulled back with a soft gasp, her eyes closed. She took a deep breath, then another. She felt like she couldn't get enough air, as if she had run a thousand miles and back.

Her gaze flew open. He was so close to her, those beautiful chocolate eyes studying her. He looked flushed, ruffled, his lips starting to darken. His chest rose and fell in tandem with hers. And he wore the most peculiarly contemplative look on his face as he watched her.

And slowly, a few realizations dawned. One, it was she that was holding him pressed against her. His hands were--and had been--resting loosely on her waist. They had tightened momentarily during the kiss, but the rough handling had all been her.

And second...it was she who had kissed him like a wild person. Oh, he had started it, pushing his mouth against hers and slamming her back, but soon she had taken over. And for the past few moments, she was the one kissing, reaching, suckling while he held still under her assault. As if she couldn't get enough.

She had just man handled Luke.

And he was watching her, the surprise reflecting in his eyes. Seeing her in a new light. Probably wondering why she had turned into such a starved, ravenous beast--

Her face flushed furiously. Oh, God. What had she done?

A soft smile had started on his face, but it instantly faded when he saw her expression. He straightened, "Kate..."

"Don't say anything." she whispered, burning with embarrassment, "Please, don't say anything."

He reached up, gently tucking her hair back, looking stricken. She pushed him back, her hands fisting, her whole body stiffening in defense. Her eyes closed, "Go away." she whispered.

He took a measured breath and stepped away from her. She pushed off the fish tank, watching him leave. He walked a few steps, and then stopped, turning to look at her. She prepared herself for whatever he was about to throw at her, but his gaze moved from her to the fish tank. His brow narrowed.

She followed his gaze and stepped back. Her mouth dropped open in horror.

"Oh, God!" she cried out softly. The glass of the fish tank had become dislodged with her roughly slamming into it, and the water was steadily draining through the cracks. They hadn't even realized it, in their kissing. She hadn't realized it even though her whole back was wet. She felt her sopping back in horror, then turned to Luke, her mouth hanging open. He looked at direction of her hands in surprise, and then up at her. For a moment he looked amused.

"Luke, the fish!" she blurted out, "They will die." she flew to the fish tank, trying to contain the water with her hands, to no avail. The tank was wide but not too deep, and it was losing water fast.

She felt a tug at her foot. She whipped around, staring at Luke. "What on earth are you doing?"

"Saving the fish." he pulled her shoe off and quickly straightened, pushing open the lid of the fish tank. He plunged the shoe inside, chasing the fish darting around. Catching on, she pulled off her other shoe and together they quickly filled her shoes with water and fish. All except one, the lone gold fish that had developed sudden speed and evaded her.