Ruination

She stared at him, his words ringing in her ears. Cold shock filled her. This was a joke, she realized grimly, her thoughts sluggish in disbelief. While she had been on the phone, John and Luke had decided to pull a horrible prank on her. She would have been amused if it hadn't been so awful.

"That was in bad taste." she said shakily, looking at John numbly, then back at Luke, "Making me worry about Will...that wasn't funny." She glared at the two of them, "I will find him myself, if you are going to be like this. I'll make him explain." she started to leave, but Luke stopped her, tugging her close.

He looked, if possible, even more wearied. "Kate...it was why he had to send you away. Nothing but the most horrible circumstances could have forced--"

"Horrible circumstances being that Will is a murderer?" she let out a furious laugh, "Okay, very funny. Now stop it."

She glared at him when he continued to look at her regretfully. He stepped towards her, "Let me explain--"

"No." she shook her head furiously, "No explaining. I won't let this ridiculousness continue. I know you have a deeper understanding of my brother now as an adult, Luke, but I was with Will constantly as a child. I know that Will. And to say that that boy--a child--sent me away because he was a...? How stupid do you think I am?" she heaved a deep breath, stark pale with anger.

"Kate, please don't cry." Luke moaned slightly, coming towards her. She stepped back, horrified to realize that furious tears had streaked down her face. She wiped them viciously, glaring at Luke to stay put when he tried to touch her.

This was a joke, and she knew she was taking it badly. What did it matter if they pulled a few pranks? She was a better sport than that. But she couldn't handle it. Not about Will.

"I had asthma since I was a baby." she forced out, scowling to keep her composure, her hands fisted tightly by her sides, "Mummy and Daddy were always at work, and they told Will he had to watch me at all times because I could have an attack and die. So he always watched me, always. I don't even remember Mummy and Daddy but I remember Will growing up. How could you for a second expect me to believe..."

Luke reached for her, pulling her in a hug even as she resisted, and murmured comfortingly against her ear. She stayed rigid, unwilling to forgive him just yet.

"Please let me explain, Kate." he was whispered, "Let me explain."

"No explaining. You must apologize. I won't forgive you. And you can forget about those babies." she whispered furiously.

"I will ask for forgiveness, but--what?" he frowned.

She blanched. "I'm ready to hear your apology." she hissed quickly, "Now."

He shot her a curious look, then tugged her stiff body to the couch, lowering her to it. He studied her anxiously, and when she gave him a hard look, he took a deep breath.

"I must explain, Kate..." he let out his breath, suddenly looking exhausted, "This was...a few weeks before you were adopted out..."

Luke felt the words dropping from his mouth, but in his minds, vivid images formed like it had just been yesterday, every detail outlined in stark relief.

It had been eight years ago, a month before Kate had been fostered out. He and Will had been hanging with some of their more shady friends and had been returning after trying a hand at gambling—and finding out that they made a good team. Their pockets had been heavy and their insides had been weightless from the few beers they had consumed, and Will's laughter had echoed back to Luke as he had jumped on a bench, throwing out his hands to walk as if on a tight rope. Knowing that he had had a few drinks, he might as well have been.