Morning After

Kate woke up feeling particularly well rested the next morning, a feeling she had been experiencing quite a bit lately. She yawned, snuggling close to Luke. She was in his arms, plastered to his chest, and he held her tight against himself, as if protecting her in his sleep. She rubbed her eyes and wondered how that had come about. Had she had a nightmare? She hadn't woken up with one, and she supposed that was one of the prerequisites to remembering it.

She shrugged and enjoyed being close to him a few more minutes.

When she couldn't pretend to be asleep any longer, she slipped out of the bed. He was dead to the world, his face buried in her pillow, and even in profile he looked tired. Her pity rousing, she wondered what she had put him through last night. She studied him closely for signs of injury, but found none, thank God.

"You have earned breakfast." she murmured. A quick inventory of the cottage last night had revealed that Luke had taken the liberty to stock it up a with essentials, and she was feeling generous just then. And well rested. It was an amazing feeling.

After her morning ablutions, she hummed her way into the kitchen and set up the coffee machine. Once it was brewing, she set about figuring out breakfast. She was no cook but she could manage eggs. She took out a skillet and set it on the stove, and she was stirring eggs around in it when Luke walked in. He was sleepy eyed, patting his face with a towel.

He stilled. "You still here?"

"Sit." she gestured towards the counter.

He took a seat, squinting against the sunlight coming in from the window. "Thought I smelled breakfast. What's the time?" he sounded like he'd just risen from the dead.

"Early. But we don't have much time before we have to leave."

She slid the steaming skillet on the counter and handed him a fork. He raised his brows, "We're eating straight from the skillet?"

She shrugged, "I couldn't find plates."

"Oh, right...I'll have them sent in tonight." he said apologetically.

"It's alright." she said brightly.

Silently, they both ate the eggs and drank coffee. She glanced at him over the breakfast a few times, open to having an idle conversation, but he wouldn't meet her eyes.

"Can you take a look at Luke for me? I've never had fish so I don't know if it's normal for him to wobble like that." she chattered.

He swallowed the egg, looking confused momentarily at the use of his name, before comprehension hit. He glanced towards the direction of the bed. "Seemed fine to me." he mumbled.

"I think he's slower than the rest. I have to chase them away to get him any feed."

"Is that so?" Luke stabbed a bit of egg on his fork, not looking at her, "Maybe a different bowl for him, then?"

She sat back, surprised. "That's a brilliant idea!" she breathed, breaking into a grin. He didn't return it, shrugging absently, and her smile dropped.

She considered him as she chewed the eggs. Just yesterday he'd asked her to forgive him, and after what he was doing for her, she was finding herself increasingly open to the idea. He was a good man--a selfless man, certainly. Maybe they could be friends again.

Her gaze slid over his shoulders and her stomach fluttered. Clearly her body wanted her to be more. She pressed her free hand against against her belly. Calm down, Kate!

She looked up to find his eyes on her. It was obvious he'd caught her looking. She flushed. Instead of teasing her, however, he smiled slightly--an uncomfortable smile--and looked away, sipping his coffee.

"Everything alright?" she asked. She threw the skillet in the sink and turned on the faucet.

"Hm? Yea, fine." he looked at his watch, "Just getting late." he looked at her, "Here, I'll wash those."

She stepped away from the sink and folded her arms, studying him suspiciously as he foamed up the dishes. His face was perfectly fine, no signs of assault on him. Then what...

A dreadful idea occurred to her. "Oh, God..." she said slowly, "Take off your shirt."

There was a clatter of the dishes hitting the sink. "What?"

She flew to him, reaching up for his buttons. He stepped back, his eyes widening, and tried to ward her off with soapy hands.

"I hurt you, didn't I?" she demanded, "That's why you're acting like this. I did something last night!"

He shook his head vehemently, "No--you didn't do anything. Stop it!"

She slapped his slippery hands away, tugging at his shirt. "Let me see!"

"I'm telling you it was nothing." he protested.

"Take of your shirt, Luke." she glared up fiercely.

"Chipmunk," he chuckled in disbelief. Then seeing her mutinous face, he quickly shrugged off his shirt, turning around for her inspection, "Happy?"

She stepped back, her breath catching. "Yes." she tried to keep a professional tone, "Thank you." her insides sagged with relief, and she tried not to stare as he buttoned back his shirt. He clearly worked out. Now she would be plagued by the image of him, shirtless.

"So nothing happened last night?" she asked hesitantly.

He started washing the soap off the dishes, not looking at her. "Nothing. You had your usual nightmares, and that was it." He looked up absently, his expression funny.

"What?!" she threw up hands, "Luke?"

He hesitated. "Kate...these other dreams you have..."

She frowned, "What other dreams?"

He seemed lost for words. He started tentatively, "Well, don't you have...hasn't anyone ever mentioned...any other kind of dreams?"

"What dreams?"

He stared at her. She returned his look, raising her brows. He didn't say anything.

"I might have a variation of nightmares." she said carefully, "I'm certain they change from time to time. Which are you talking about?"

He studied her quietly, as if unable to say anything. Something seemed to click into place, and he drew back, looking at her in grim realization. "Nothing." he murmured, "Forget about it."