A Lesson Well Learned

She was led towards Mr. Greymark's offices by an employee. They walked past the main offices and into carpeted corridors silent except for the occasion whir of a machine, sounds of typing or a whispered conversation over a phone leaking through the doors on each side. Finally they entered a vast hall dominating the back of the building. Kate looked around, taking it all in. It was decorated luxuriously with simple black and white. Vast art pieces much like the one she had shattered were placed in surroundings, in addition to large abstract paintings gracing the walls. Unlike the monochromatic theme of the surroundings, the paintings were chaotic splashes of angry red and violet.

"That way is the conference room." the employee said, gesturing towards large double doors at the end of the hall, "The rest of the doors are various offices of the managers and all the 'powerful' people." he made quotation marks. He gestured towards the door smack in the middle, "That way to Greymark's inner sanctum." he raised his brows at her, "Good luck." he said with a smirk.

She watched him go with a frown. What was with the smirk? Honestly, these people with their office politics and gossip. She looked heavenward and walked to the door to Greymark's inner sanctum.

She stepped inside yet another hall, smaller this time, and more private. It was carpeted with a thick, lush white rug, and had private bar off to the side with various drinks, a coffee machine and a water dispenser. On the other  end, a fireplace blazed heat over plush leather couches, and various magazines dotted the coffee table in front if them.

She raised her brows at the cosy interior, then looked at the two doors leading to separate offices. Apparently this was more than just Greymarks inner sanctum.

She went to the first door. There was a silver name plaque on it, but a hastily scribbled note had been pasted on top of it. She squinted at it to make out the words.

'Disturb me and it'll be the last thing you do.'

Her mouth dropped open slightly. This couldn't be Mr. Greymark's office, surely. She backed off, and came to a stop in front of the second door. A similar plaque on top of it read, "L. M. Greymark."

She let out a relieved breath and knocked before slowly creaking it open. She wasn't going to let him refuse her in case he changed his mind.

She stepped inside. It was empty. She blinked around the tastefully furnished office. It was luxurious, but had obviously been designed by an interior decorator. There were no personal touches, and the single frame on the large oak desk in the middle of the room stood empty. But it was obviously a room belonging to a very powerful man. Suppressing a shiver, she stepped further inside, looking around the cool surroundings. She spotted a fish tank situated in one corner of the room, the fish swimming merrily, a stark contrast to the cold surroundings of the room. 

Starting to smile, she stepped closer it, and bent on eye level to the fish, watching them dance around. A quick look over her shoulder showed that the room was still empty and the door closed. She turned back to the fish, wiggling a finger over the glass at the fish. They dispersed at the intrusion and she chuckled softly. "He can't be too bad to keep you guys here." she whispered. She tapped the glass softly. "Hello. I'm Kate." she crooned.

"Kate?"

She jumped a foot, whipping around to gasp at Luke, standing at the door staring at her with a curious look on his face. In his arms he held a bunch of files. "Luke!" she looked behind him, "Is he with you?" she asked in a hushed voice.

"Who?"

"Greymark!"

Luke blinked rapidly, "Greymark?"