Hello From The Dead

Will. He had needed to wake up fucking Will, who would have snored until the next day if he hadn't kicked his ass off the  couch.

But of course he couldn't have told that to Kate, who had assumed the worst. He had hoped she might thaw a bit after last night, but now he had a nice supposed one night stand to convince her that he was dirt.

He supposed he could just tell Will that Kate had rented an apartment in their place of work, or vice versa, but after Will's pigheadedness in staying mum about his sister, Luke decided he could just deal with that one on his own. He would deserve it.

Luke waited by the counter, listening with half an ear to his stand in secretary Amber stammeringly go on about a report when Will finally ambled up to him, looking too damned cheerful.

"Good morning, sunshine." he said, spreading his arms to display that he had donned a formal shirt on Luke's command--albeit he had conveniently forgotten to press it.

Luke knew it wasn't even worth it to push it. "The meeting is almost in five minutes." he said tersely, walking towards the conference halls.

"Ah, nice to see your happy face in the morning once again." Will said dryly, following him. He flashed a wink at Amber, "Odd, though," he continued casually, "for you to be in a bad mood when I was the one who discovered and had to deal with a scorned woman in your apartment last night. Wouldn't know anything about that, would you?"

"Not at all." Luke assured moodily.

"Of course not. Not like you would leave a woman to rage and storm at your best friend during the night."

Luke raised his brows at Will, "You're my best friend. Since when?"

Will threw back his head with a laugh, then slapped Luke's back with a sneer, "Until you befriend another living and breathing person, I'm all you've got, m'friend."

"Lord help me." Luke took out his phone, scrolling through his emails, "I emailed you the details you need to know to appear somewhat knowledgeable before the meeting. Did you read it?"

"Nope." Will yawned, "Fancy some coffee?"

Luke looked up, trying not to get pissed. "And if someone asks you something you should know?"

Will waved towards him, "I shall just divert the questions to you, of course."

Luke looked back at his emails, "How long do you expect this to work out?" He looked over his shoulder when Will didn't reply.

Will grinned at him. "It's just interesting."

"What's interesting?"

"To see how far I can push you before you snap."

"I don't snap easily."

Will nodded thoughtfully, "I know."

"I  might, however, decide very soon that I'm done with your annoying ass."

Will grinned, "We'll face that day when it comes, my friend!"

But of course they knew that it wouldn't. They were all each other had, and despite his ruined air, Will could be a solid friend when the time called for it.

Luke opened an email addressed to both Will and him, reading it absently.

He stopped dead. Will bumped into him and stepped back, "What the--"

"Graham Smith."

Will's brows snapped together, his face darkening, "What?"

Luke turned to him, stunned, and looked back at his phone for better measure, "I just got an e-mail...from Graham Smith." He quickly read it, then looked at Will in shock.

"What the hell?" Will snapped, "That is not the least bit funny, you sonovabitch."

"I'm not joking." Luke said calmly.

"Graham is dead."

Luke stared at him, until Will's anger faded to confusion, gave way to shock, and then converted to dread.

"I know." Luke said softly, handing out the phone to Will.

Will grabbed it, his eyes whizzing over the phone, his fair skin leeching of color as seconds passed. His hand fell to his side when he was done reading, and looked at Luke, his blue eyes panicked, and single word falling from his lips in fearful whisper, "Kate."

"Leave it to--"

"I have to protect Kate." Will turned around blindly, starting to leave.

"Don't worry about Kate." Luke said firmly, grabbing Will's shoulder to turn him around, "She's safe for now."

Will scowled, "I think she lives by herself in some apartment with a friend. I hardly think that's safe--"

"No. She doesn't. She, er, moved. I spoke to John," Luke quickly made up when Will frowned at him, "he called but you were out drunk or something. She is...safer where she is than she has ever been."

"I still need to--"

"What you need to do," Luke said firmly, "is to find out whether someone is not just playing a nasty joke on you. That this really is real.Then we can proceed to go in, blazing guns, to take care of your sister."