Unexpected Visitor

"What do you mean, he won't see me?" Kate looked impatiently at her watch--she was running late for class--then back at the smug desk attendant of Information Desk. The woman looked happy now that all was right in the world and the boss wasn't allowing random strangers up to his office.

"He's quite busy." the woman said delicately, "Shall I put you down for an appointment? He has a long schedule, but his secretary might fit you in sometime...next week." the woman smiled smugly. Kate shot her an annoyed look.

"He probably realized I ruined his office." Kate muttered to herself, ripping her handbag open, "Alright, can you send a note to him? Or does that require an appointment, as well?"

Kate quickly scribbled a note explaining the disappearance of the vase and tried to explain the events at Greymark's office, then enclosed the envelope containing the money she had intended to use as repayment. If he wasn't around to tell her the exact amount, she would just have to wing it. She tried not to groan--that was most of the money she had. She would have to be extra careful for the following month with her expenses.

She handed the letter to the desk, raising her brows, and the woman accepted it with a veiled sneer.

Kate walked away, glad she was suffering through an attraction with Luke and not someone like Greymark, who apparently every woman in the office seemed interested in, judging by their feral snarling at her at the mere mention of him!

Kate had a good learning day, aside from the small twinges of guilt when David shot her sly smiles from across the classroom of the one subject they shared, clearly reliving the kiss in explicit details. On her part, she couldn't help drifting off during little lulls in class and remembering kissing Luke, being near to Luke, and--when she really allowed herself to think about it--him hugging her in the elevator while she shook like a leaf. For some reason, even more than the kiss, that shook her too the core. She remembered his soft voice in her ear, his hand gently patting her head...making her feel like she was right where she belonged.

When the professor called out a question to which she had nothing but a blank stare, David shot her a smug grin. She flushed, embarrassed  and resolved to to set him straight quick.

She caught him after class, but he grabbed her and gave her a loud smooch before jauntily walking to his next class. She watched him go, frustrated, and saw his friends clapping his back.

"You're a real catch, you know." Jess said from behind her, watching David go with disgust.

"I am?" Kate turned to her. Growing up she had been the weird one in class, suspicious of everyone and allowing very few people near her, and she was used to projecting that image.

"Of course." Jess rolled her eyes, "The unattainable ice princess. You're pretty--boys love blond hair and blue eyes. And you act all better than everyone else with your highly selective group of friends--"

"I'm not a snob!" Kate protested.

"I know, sweetheart." Jess patted her back, "But that's what it looks like from afar. Even I thought you were a haughty little bitch before I became your friend."

Kate stared, "You did?"

Jess grinned at her. "Oh, totally. But now I know the truth. What you are...is totally..." she leaned forward, whispering, "messed up. Don't worry, your secret is safe with me." she finished brightly.

Kate chuckled.

Jess nodded towards David, "I expect he's a big stud now, for getting you to come around. Or so he thinks."

"I want to break up with him." Kate muttered, following Jess to their next class, "but he always says something or the other and I can't."

"Then dump him over a text."