Unlikely Enemy

That was the last thing she had expected to hear from David's mouth. "What's wrong with you?" she asked, annoyed and bemused, "You're crazy." she started to turn off the call, then slammed the phone back on her ear to snarl, "And don't you ever call my big brother names, do you hear me? I'll rip you apart."

She turned off the call, satisfied, and looked up to find three pairs of eyes staring at her.

"He called Will a murderer." she grumbled, "What an idiot." she walked to hall and slumped on a couch, still a little annoyed, "How did he know I have a brother, anyways? And how childish, to try to annoy me using him."

She reached for the drink Luke was holding for her, but he didn't move, staring at her starkly. His colour was bleached, and did he look slightly...alarmed?

And then the weirdest thing happened. Luke looked at John, and the two of them shared a look.

She frowned, surprised. Since when did her father and boyfriend--who she hadn't even known knew each other--share significant looks? "What?" she asked irritably.

"What did he say?" Luke said, his tone tight. He glanced towards her phone, "David?" Meanwhile, he flipped out his phone, starting to type a message.

"That's he'd kill Will because Will murdered someone." She rolled her eyes, "Can you believe the nerve?" she fisted her hands as she thought about it, feeling mad once more. No one got to slander her brother!

Luke didn't share her annoyance. His hands were flying over his phone.

"Who are you messaging?" she asked.

He didn't look up. "Will. Making sure he's safe." he glanced at Kate, looking like he immediately regretted those grave words. He added lamely, "Just to see what he's doing."

He turned to glaring at the phone.

"What, because of David?" Kate rolled her eyes, "He's just being annoying, Luke. What, you think he'll kidnap Will? He's just angry I pulled a restraining order on him."

"A restraining order?" John said immediately, having been watching the exchange grimly. "What did he do?"

Kate blanched, having forgotten she hadn't shared the information with her protective father. "Uh...just this and that."

John scowled, "What did he do, Kate? And how did he know about..." he glanced at Luke, saying in forced neutral tones, "How does he know Will?"

"Will isn't replying." Luke muttered, looking frustrated. Kate looked between them, confused. Why on earth did they suddenly look so serious? The threat from David was ridiculous, if anything. As if a scrawny college boy could hurt Will. Will would probably roast him with a sarcastic jibe.

She looked back at her phone, remembering something. "Luke, can you give me Will's number? I apparently saved the wrong one in his name."

Without checking, Luke narrated the number. She shot him an amused look at how close the two were that he had the number committed to memory, but Luke didn't look up to share her humor, scowling at his phone. She sighed hugely. "Luke, cheer up. David's no big deal, trust me. You think I wouldn't be worried about my brother if he was?"

"He said Will was a..."

"A murderer." Kate completed, "And I chewed him out. If you want I can give him hell in college tomorrow. No one slanders Will."

Luke shot her a dirty look at her amused tones, "This isn't about slander." he muttered, "Damn it, he's not replying."

Feeling a tinge of anxiety, Kate leaned forward. She reminded herself that Luke was being protective. Being the oldest of the three, he was probably just used to looking out for all of them. Nevertheless, she decided to drop a message of her own to Will. "Can you give me the number again? I missed it the first time." Kate said, opening Will in her contacts.