Because

Luke stiffened, shock spiraling through him. Of all things, he hadn't expected this. He pulled away, staring down at her face. "What did he say to you?" he asked gruffly, mentally cursing Will for his bluntness, "Did he say anything to hurt you?" Friend or not, Luke would have to punch him for this--

"He's so much older now." she whispered, staring off into the distance, "I knew he would be, but...I didn't really, not until I saw him. And he looks...not like Will. Like a separate person. Harsher. And cynical."

Yes, Luke thought dryly, that described Will.

"I hate him." she whispered bitterly, then bit her lip.

"I know." Luke tugged her close once more, patting the back of her back of her head, "I know, baby."

Her voice was small, "Why is he in trouble? Who wants to hurt him?"

Luke detected the concern in her voice she tried to casually veil. He looked down at her again. She looked worried, even as she tried to control her expression.

"He's made...some enemies along the way." Luke said hesitantly, not sure how much he was allowed to tell.

Kate nodded, "I can imagine." she muttered, "He looks like he might have." she quickly rubbed her eyes, saying in a rush of feeling, "John has so many friends in the law enforcement. I'm sure he could help--"

"That's something you will have to discuss with Will." Luke said gently. She blanched.

"I won't talk to him. I'm never going to talk to him."

And yet she was a bundle of nerves over him being hurt. What a pair they were, these O'Hare siblings. Luke sighed, tugging her back in his hug. "Where did you meet him?"

She mumbled a reply.

"A nightclub." his brows flew up, "What were you, uh...Never mind." he decided it was better for the peace of his own mind to not know what she had been doing there.

"Jess introduced me to Will thinking I could date him." Kate muttered, then emitted an involuntary giggle, "You should've seen his face."

"Good God." Luke exclaimed.

"Yes, and he..." Kate went on to explain in soft tones what had happened, and Luke gently lowered her into a lying position. An hour later, she had fallen asleep. He patted her back silently, broodingly studying over her head.

She had bought an extra fish bowl, he spotted on her nightstand, just like he had suggested for Luke the Goldfish. She had also purchased extra goldfish to keep the lone fish company. Not just that, but the fish in the original bowl also had been awarded additional companions. Luke let out a soft scoff of laughter. Then his smile faded.

I'm so lonely.

She had whispered that in her tears, and it rang truer than anything she could have said. It was a truth that had plagued most of the children at the Foster Home. No matter how many people they met and how many successes they achieved, they were always lonely.

He tightened his arms around her, vowing she would never be again.

But it wasn't just her today who had gone through a painful confrontation. His pities rousing, Luke thought of Will. What had been a terrible night must have been excruciating for Will. To face his little sister after all those years, one he would have put his life on the line to protect, and find himself unable to express his true intentions...

Luke made sure Kate was asleep before silently slipping out of the bed, and he grabbed his cell to dial a number. It was picked after a long period of ringing.

Customer Satisfaction [COMPLETE] On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara