Womanizer

Her senses felt heightened as they stood in the dark, so that she felt like she was touching him even as their bodies allowed a weak stream of air between them, and second by second the soft scent of his cologne teased against her nostrils until her insides clenched with the need to just lean in and take a strong whiff. The heat from his body slowly warmed her chilly arms even as gooseflesh broke over her skin. Her fingers curled by her sides and she stared blindly at his shoulder--broad shoulders he had developed--until her traitorous eyesight slowly adjusted, the memories of her childhood fading away to be replaced by visions of reality.

She looked up. The soft stream of light coming from beneath the doorway provided illumination now that her eyes had adjusted, and she saw the outline of his jaw, tensed as he stared over her shoulder. She wondered if he was remembering the last time they had been this close too. Only then, she had climbed all over him, rather like a chipmunk.

She winced.

He looked down at her, catching her looking.

She immediately glanced away, embarrassed.

After beat, he let out a soft laugh, covering his mouth as if to muffle it. His shoulders shook, and he threw his head back, unable to help himself.

She frowned up at him.

"I'm sorry," he said, and she saw a flash of his teeth in the dark, "it's just...I never thought I'd see it again."

"See what?" she asked, confused.

"You. Looking away when I catch you looking at me." he was grinning now, "Takes me right back."

She stiffened, scowling up at him. "Well, I've been taken back too, although nothing as pleasant." she muttered.

His grin faded. He continued to watch her, while she looked testily at the doorway. "I think we're clear." she murmured, "no more footsteps."

She looked up at him.

"Didn't hear the intruder click out." he muttered.

She took a deep breath and let it out pointedly. She would have folded her arms, but that would have just caused her arms to brush against him in this confined space.

"Nice to know we're going back to my old childhood habit of saving your butt." he murmured finally.

Stunned, she looked up at him, "Excuse me?"

"You may have forgotten, sweetheart, but I saved you often enough."

"Oh? Name one instance--"

"When Madam Fitzpatrick discovered that all the pet parrots had been set free, who took the blame for them, but yours truly? Even though we know you couldn't stand seeing them in cages."

She shut up, stumped, "I...didn't know you knew."

"Of your little act of rebellion? Of course I did."

"I'm quite certain you and Will took blame for half the things you hadn't done, just to be contrary." she said testily.

"Hm..." he said thoughtfully, "Can't argue with you on that. How about, when you didn't want to wear that horrible dress Madam Fitzpatrick assigned you to the new year's party, the trunk of new dresses in the storeroom was mysteriously set off by fireworks?"

Her mouth dropped open, "You didn't!"

She could see a shadowy brow rise and suppressed a laugh.

"Oh, come on! You can't expect any points for the ten billion acts of mischievousness you and Will engaged in, even if they served a purpose now and then." Especially when, even though she wouldn't mention it, she could think of several things he had done for her that weren't ridiculously stupid.