Not Chipmunk

Luke was leaning against the peeling paint of the restaurant building seemingly uncaring about his suit when she exited. She waved goodbye to a beaming Jess and hoisted her bag over her shoulder, motioning Luke to join her. They spilled into the parking lot, where Luke led her to his car.

"This David...why the hell are you putting up with him? It's clear you don't want him."

Immediately, her spine went stiff, "I'm dealing with it."

"Clearly." he shot her a dark look, before opening the passenger side door and motioned her in. She looked wearily, staying put.

"What did you want to discuss?" she asked.

He took in her expression, then reached inside his pocket, pulling at the envelope she had left at the front desk in the morning. He tossed it at her. "From Greymark. Just passing it along."

She caught it, taken aback, and quickly turned over the note. It was just as heavy as she had left it, and there was a note attached to it in place of hers. She tore it open. It was written on the Greymark letterhead.

Dear Miss O'Hare,

I'm pleased at your confession about the damage to said collectable vase and fish tank and find myself quite satisfied by your contrition. Please find enclosed with this letter the amount you left, and consider us even. I shall hear no more words of returning this debt.

As for my fish, once the tank repairs are complete I will send for them without a moments notice. I entrust them in your care until then.

Regards,

Greymark

"I noticed you've been using your biological father's name." Luke murmured, having been reading over her shoulder, "Not Miss Hallbrooke like you instructed me the first night?"

She looked at him pointedly, turning the corner of the letter, until he stepped back, not looking embarrassed at all.

"I felt rather spiteful, then." she said, "But it wasn't entirely wrong. People who know me through John often refer to me as Hallbrooke." she turned a thoughtful look to the note.

"But you're an O'Hare officially?"

"Officially." she nodded, staring musingly at the paper, "I kept my last name."

Luke nodded. "Well, this is good, isn't it?" he pointed at the note, "You're in the clear!"

She was silent. Luke lowered his head to study her face.

"Why do you look not happy?" he asked in confusion.

"Because it's a dog eat dog world, Luke." she said seriously, "No one does anyone a favour without expecting something in return. I've watched John dealing with people long enough to know."

Luke folded his arms, looking exasperated, "Maybe this guy just doesn't care about the vase?" he suggested, wiggling his brows.

"Perhaps," she admitted, "But you said it yourself how expensive it was. How could that mean nothing to him?"

"I might have been mistaken." Luke waved his hand away.

"No." she said sharply, "We've established you know quite a bit about this place."

Luke looked heavenward, "He's rich. Probably doesn't matter to him if a few thousand dollars go down the drain."

"Maybe." she folded the note, tucking it in her purse, uncertain, "I'll watch out, just the same." she hoisted her purse back up and looked at him, "Is that all?"