Caught Again

He opened the luggage compartment to pull out a first aid kit as she slipped into the passenger seat, and then sat in the driving seat. He leaned over her with an alcohol swab, and she hesitated. "I can...ow!" she closed her eyes tight when he dabbed at her scrapes. "Be gentle. Ow!"

"Still a baby about cuts and scrapes, huh?"

"I'm not--ow--a baby! You just happen to apply too much--yeouch--pressure!"

"Funny. You were more brave in childhood."

Because then she had been too busy admiring him when he bent over her Her eyes opened at the thought, and she stared at his head lowered over her, a mild crease between his eyes in concentration.

The view had certainly improved.

She coughed slightly, uncomfortable at the closeness, trying to breathe naturally. For some reason the urge to swallow overwhelmed her, but she didn't for the fear that it would be too loud.

His eyes snapped to her when her throat made a funny sound. "Are you having an asthma attack? Where's your inhaler?" he felt her clothes.

"Whoa!" she said breathlessly, throwing up her arms, "Back off!"

She slapped his hands. He pulled back.

"You  have to stop getting frisky with me, Luke Marshal. In some places this would be considered assault." She straightened her clothes, tugging her skirt low, "I happen to be perfectly capable of using my own inhaler. And I will do that, thank you." she pulled the bandage from his hands.

"Is that so." he murmured rhetorically, sitting back. His eyes swept over her, "What are you wearing?"

"It's my uniform."

"A waitress? Aren't you rich?"

"What is rich, but a subjective term." she raised her nose. He studied her for a few moments, then let out a soft laugh, turning to the front and starting the car. She turned to open the passenger door.

"Don't even think about it." he said, putting the car in drive. She sulkily stared out the window as the view swept past her. Her eyes widened when he took a wrong turn.

She whipped around to him. "You said you weren't taking me to the hospital!"

"I said you don't have to go to the hospital if you don't want to. I'm hoping by the time we reach there,  you change your mind."

"Stop the car!" she said futily, tugging her seat belt lose. She slumped back when he ignored her, "I hate hospitals." she muttered, "Not to mention it would appear on the insurance record, and John would worry."

"Don't worry about that."

"Easy for you to say. I barely convinced him to not hire security guards for me."

"Kate..." he said softly, "You need to be careful, alright? Nowadays...well, it's not safe to just walk out in the open, landing before cars."

"Things aren't safe for anyone. It doesn't mean we stop living."

He took a deep breath, looking like he wanted to say something. Then he sighed, shooting her a look. "You're probably right."

When they reached the hospital, she sucked in her guts and stepped inside, not wanting to appear childish. She gritted her teeth through the examination and the CT scan, trying not to let her fear show. Whenever she looked at him across the sterile rooms, he was standing there, watching her thoughtfully.

She avoided looking at him, until at one point she looked and he wasn't there, and her stomach dropped horribly. She didn't realize she was craning until the nurse gently told her he was gone to fill the paperwork.