Sycamore Tree

Seven  years ago, she had last been this close to him.

It had been a year after she had been adopted out. A year in which she had rigidly refused to acquiesce to Doreen's tentative mothering and John's gentle patience. Instead, she had been determined inside that any day her brother would come sneaking into the sprawling estate blazing an apologetic smile and spirit her away, with Luke keeping a lookout all the while.

A rock at the window had started her, and she had jumped up in her billowing nightgown, charged with conviction and delight. She had pulled up the windowpane and glanced out, blinking a few times before letting out an excited exhale, "Luke!" followed by a soft, relieved, "Oh, thank God."

Before he could give her any more than an awkward grin, shadowed by a Sycamore tree, she had taken off like a shot, running down the sprawling staircase and across the glittering hall, and had spilled into the night and towards him. Forgetting her usual shyness, she had thrown open her arms as she had run to him, and he had caught her, her small weight slamming against him like a shot and they had both fallen at the base of the tree, him laughing softly in surprise.

She hadn't had the breath in her to laugh, and instead had clambered over him to stare down at his face, feasting her greedy eyes, and making sure that it really, truly was him.

He had grown taller in the past year, and slightly more tanned and weathered, but it was really him.

"It's you. You came for me. Why did it take so long?" she had whispered weakly, then buried her face in his neck and snuggled close, determined to not let go till they were safe at the orphanage, "Never mind. At least you're here now."

After a few moments of silence, he had slowly sat up. she had refused to sit back, still huddled close to him and clutching for dear life. "Yes. It's me." his voice had sounded a bit subdued, but she hadn't cared, snuggling in her safe cocoon for long moments before her breathing had evened out and her sense had absorbed that it was really him.

Then she had peeked over his shoulder, looking around, "Is Will keeping a look out?"

When he hadn't responded, she had looked at him. He hadn't been looking at her, his expression strange. "Will...he didn't come."

"Oh..." she thought fast, refusing to be hurt, "He must be keeping the gates open for us at the foster home, of course." she had nodded with relief. She tugged at him, suddenly impatient, "Let's go then!"

He had refused to be budged, looking at her with sad brown eyes. She had sat back on her knees, staring at him hard, "Luke, listen to me. We have to hurry. John has thousands of guards keeping a lookout on his estate." that estimation at her age had seemed extremely reasonable, "We must leave before they alert him!"

"You look thin. Haven't you been eating well?"

She had blinked, taken aback. "Of course I've been eating well." she had said slowly.

He had reached up to tuck a strand of hair behind her ear. His fingers had a slightly roughened texture they didn't before, "And do you have any friends at school?"

She lowered slightly, "It doesn't matter anymore," she had said, frustrated, "I won't be going there much longer."

He had watched her, his face too shadowed for her to read much, until he had let out a defeated sigh, whispering, "Will was right. I shouldn't have...But i needed to see you. I...we miss you so much, Chipmunk."

Her heart had started that terrible beating again, thudding against her sternum. "I missed you too, Luke." she had whispered uncertainly. He had reached for her, and suddenly she had tensed, pulling back. He stilled.

"Let's go home." she whispered.

His face had looked tormented. "Chipmunk...we can't."

"Why not?"

"We don't...live there anymore. At the foster home."

That news been like a punch to the guts. Her mouth had dropped open.

He had continued hesitantly, "When you were adopted, it wasn't a retribution or a prank, Kate. Will wants you to have a good life. To have a shot at things he can't give you."

"Away from him?" she stated, tears shining in her eyes, "Away from both of you?"

Luke was silent for a heavy moment, finally whispering, "He had his reasons."

"And why didn't he come to see me?" her voice grew sharp, "I'm still his little sister, even if the responsibility has been handed over to others."

"Kate..."

"Why didn't you?"

His voice grew desperate, "Trust me in this, Kate, he was doing what was best for you. You'll understand one day. He--he made me promise not to find you, but I will come to you, I swear I will."

"But you won't take me back." she had whispered.

His voice had been dejected, broken. "I can't. Not yet. Please, Chipmunk--"

"Don't touch me." she had breathed when he had reached for her, then louder, "Don't touch me!"

He froze.

"You lied to me." she hissed, "You both lied! Will j-just wanted me out of his hair--and so did you!"

"No." he had moaned, "we just—we just wanted you to be safer—"

"I didn't want to be safe! I wanted to be with you!" she had breathed heavily, hoping he would understand, would agree to take her back, but he had stood there, watching her with his eyes dazed with agony, and a crushing disappointment had set within her.

"Go back." She had whispered bitterly, even as everything within her rebelled at the idea. She wanted to cling to him, to leave him no choice but to take her back. But his unwillingness to do so—her own brother's unwillingness to do so—filled her with a fiery pain, a newfound defiance, and she lashed out, "If you don't want me with you, don't come visit again."

"But,Chipmunk—" he had reached for her, his hands hanging in midair as she had stumbled back.

"Go away, Luke! I don't want to see you or Will again!" She hadn't turned to look back at him as she had run back in the house, wanting to be far away from him before she broke down into sobs.

For years afterward, she was angry whenever she remembered, thinking it was because he didn't try take her back, whatever Will said be damned.

But as she stood close to him in the dark closet, both of them stunned to find themselves in such close proximity again, it suddenly dawned on her...that it was because he had listened to her too well. After that day, he never came to find her again.