Chapter 1: The Prom

Start from the beginning

I felt a small tear in the corner of my eye as I looked at it. I had completely forgotten about the ring, trying to make sure everything for prom was straight. I quickly wiped the tear and carefully put the ring on my finger. It sparkled as I examined it on my finger.

"Thanks Eric. I really appreciate this." I gave him a huge hug.

"No problem. Enjoy yourself tonight, okay?" He patted my back. "And you look gorgeous," He said in my mom's New York accent she always used for that word. We both broke out in laughter. 

"Carson." He gave Carson a hand slap. "Take care of my sis. Don't let her have too much fun." He chuckled. Carson grinned at his silly, yet serious words. Eric waved at me and ascended back upstairs to his room.

"I'll make sure she's home by twelve." He pulled his phone out of his tux pocket. "We should probably get going." 

"Wait." My dad pulled out his digital camera. "I gotta' get a picture first, man." 

I looked at Carson and he shrugged. He positioned himself behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist. I held his hands. 

"Okay, 1....2.....3!" The camera flashed, signaling he had took the picture. "It looks nice. I'll get it framed later." My dad had been wanting to frame everything ever since mom died. He even wanted to frame my perfect attendance certificates from when I was in elementary school. 

"Okay, Dad. We're gonna' go. I'll be home later tonight," I told him as Carson opened the front door.

"Okay, be sure to call when the prom's over so I know you're alright. You have your phone, correct?"

"Yes Dad, I have my phone," I groaned, grinning. He could be so protective of me at times.

"Okay. Bye. Have fun." He followed us out on the porch and shook Carson's hand. "Take care of my little girl, son. I'm trusting you."

"Don't worry, Mr. Peters. She'll be fine." Carson gave him a reassuring smile.

Carson opened the car door for me and I got in. He had borrowed his dad's Rolls-Royce for the evening. His parents were both successful surgeons, so they had well over six figure salaries. 

He closed my door and walked over to the driver's side and got in. He started the car. I waved at my dad through the window. Carson honked the horn and drove off. 

  Carson was always talkataive, his sense of humor was what I loved most. But he was silent in the car. I looked at him but he was focused on the road. I felt an unusual feeling - awkwardness. I had to break the silence.

"You look really nice tonight, Carson."

"Thanks sweetheart," he said, glancing at me with a kind smile.

I took out my phone and noticed my best friend, Cindy, had texted me. The text read I'm outside of the hotel. Where r u?

I texted her back saying On the way.

I closed my phone and tucked it back inside of my small pocketbook. "You want to go out to eat after the prom?"

Carson cleared his throat. "Your dad wants you home at twelve," he answered blandly. His emotionless words left a cold feeling in my chest that was increasingly becoming a burden.

"Yeah, but we could leave the prom early and go out to eat at Olive Garden or something," I offered, patting him on his knee.

"Um, we'll see," he said, scratching his head.

"Alright," I turned my body to face the window and the ride returned to silence. Carson seemed to be consumed in his own thoughts to pay any attention to me. Then again, I was extremely nervous. Maybe I was just over-analyzing. I turned on the radio and listened to Pink sing about being sober.