Chapter 15: In the Arena

Katniss' POV

I look at a big screen placed against the wall in the Mentors' Room. All the other mentors are there too.

The games would begin any minute now.

I turn my head and see Peeta giving me a hopeful smile. I offer one back.

I'm not sure about Loelle or Sandy, but I think Ryder has a great chance of winning. He got a 9 for his training score, after all.

The screen lights up with the district 1 symbol and then it burns. Soon after, Plutarch bright and cheery face pops into the screen as everyone stares meaningly at his television self.

Plutarch clears his throat,"Hello Panem! Welcome to the first annual Capitol Games! These games will be no different from the Hunger Games, except they will mean victory for all of Panem. Now, what are we waiting for? Let the games commence!"

The screen switches to the tributes in their platforms.

I am amazed by the arena.

The platforms are on a beach. A beautiful beach. With a beach comes tons of water.

Yes, this game will be on a island.

There are palm trees and tropical animals wandering around. The cornucopia looks like a usual cornucopia, with all the equipment spread around... waiting to lure tributes in.

I warned my tributes to not go for the supplies, just as Haymitch warned me. I told them to get as much distance as they could away from the other tributes and find water. Since, they are on an island, I don't think water will be much trouble to find.

Most of the tributes are standing around, looking helpless as the sunshine of the island swallows them. Loelle gives a friendly and cute wave to the arena. Ryder grunts as he flexes his muscles for all to see. Sandy is still doing it "Johanna Mason style", so she is naturally faking a sobbing scene.

"Ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, two, one!" the dong meant that they were free to leave their platforms.

Let the cornucopia bloodbath begin!

~~~~~~~~~~

Who knows how many are dead? Who does?

5 hours have passed and I believe the bloodbath lasted for three out of the five.

I know Sandy's not dead because I recently watched her swing from a vine to get from one tree to another.

Loelle, on the other hand could be as good as dead, they have not shown her yet.

The bloodbath was horrid. Watching the Hunger Games when these kids grew up, must've helped them in some way because they really knew how to kill. Even the smallest of small.

Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom!
Boom! Boom! Boom!

Eleven canons. Eleven dead in the bloodbath.

The night was coming and by looking at the tributes, I could tell that it was below freezing. The ones who were lucky enough to get a sleeping bag, cuddled themselves in, but were still chattering. Their clothes were not flimsy, but not very good either.

Boom!

One more boom? A tribute must've been killed just now. I wasn't paying much attention, so I don't really know.

I might as well go to sleep now. I'm not sure what else to do.

Before I could have walked out of the room, Rue's four note tune filled the room and the Arena. The song of the rebels.