Chapter 3:Only Peeta

I wish Peeta were there to help Serena. He's amazing with words.

I open Sandy's door. She's watching the reaping too, but instead of crying, she's pacing around the room.

"Um, hey Sandy, what are you doing?" I ask. She looks at me,"Oh! Hi Katniss! I was just thinking of how I could win this thing," she looks out the window for a moment,"Can you keep a secret?" I nod. She comes closer and whispers,"I'm gonna win. Johanna Mason style."

At first I had no idea what she was talking about, but I think of Johanna, she pretended she was a weakling in her games and won at the end. I gasped,"Are you secretly really strong?"

"Not particularly. I am a whiz with spears though. Please, please don't tell the other tributes," she pleads. "Of course! I'm doing everything I can do to keep you alive," i say. Sandy hugs me,"Thank you."

I wonder if other tributes are "going to win, Johanna Mason style." I laugh out loud. Haymitch hears me.

"Whatta ya doing, sweetheart? Having fun mentoring?" he asks. I nod,"It's so much better than the actual games."

Haymitch shakes his head,"The moment the tributes step into the arena, sweetheart, you'll feel guilty. That's not even the worst part. Watching them die is."

I gulp,"Okay... thanks for giving me a warning. I have to go and find Peeta now. See you tomorrow, Haymitch."

He nods and waves. I go to Peeta's room. He's sitting on his bed watching the reaping. Why is everyone watching the reaping?

"Hey Katniss. You look worried, are you okay?" he asks. I smile,"I'm fine, Peeta."

I look at the TV screen. I see my self picking out a ticket. I shout,"Clarissa Snow." In my eyes i can see recognization, fear, but mostly surprise.

Peeta pats my back, "It's alright Katniss. You didn't know that you were going to pick Clarissa."

"But... before i wanted her dead, but now i'm having second thoughts," I look at the floor,"Serena is nothing like Snow."

Peeta looks confused,"Serena?"

"Oh, Clarissa wanted me to call her that," I say.

Peeta nods, "I had a feeling you would feel that way.''

I put my head in his lap and enjoy his warmth.

He untangles my hair with his fingers.

I sigh, "Peeta, how's Ryder doing?"

"He's okay, a little nervous though," he says.

He leans down and kisses my forehead. Then, my nose and finally he plants his lips firmly on mines.

When we break, Peeta says,"I love you Katniss, stay strong, alright?"

I nod.

Peeta tucks me in bed and comes to sleep beside me. I smile.

I had a nightmare about Prim tonight. I failed to save her, but most of all, I failed to protect her.