The Capitol Games

I stare down at the frightened Capitol children. Today is the reaping. We have decided that there would be a hunger games for Capitol children: The Capitol Games.

President Paylor agreed that me and Peeta could be mentors together. We have to mentor 3 children: 2 girls and 1 boy. Whereas, other victors and other random chosen rebel mentors only have to mentor 2: 1 girl and 1 boy. That is, except Haymitch who only has to mentor a boy. I have no idea who I am going to mentor, but soon enough I'll know.

Peeta's hand reaches into the girls reaping bowl,"Sandy Washers!" he cries out. A girl with dirty blond hair comes to the stage. Her eyes are wide with shock. She is about 15 years old.

Now it's my turn. I reach my hand into the girls reaping bowl and pick out,"Clarissa Snow!" I say before I realize who this girl is. She is Panem's former president's granddaughter. President Snow was the one who created the Hunger Games. He is now dead because of the rebellion I started. I knew that me picking Clarissa was not coincidental.

Loud murmurs go about the crowd. Then, there is a girl with wavy hazelnut brown hair and the exact same colour eyes. I would say she's around the age of 13. I might be mistaken, but I think she looks slightly bored. The one other thing I notice about her is the panic in her eyes. I feel horrible.

I look behind me to see a gaping Peeta. Around me the other mentors are also in shock.

I take a deep breath and when Clarissa comes up the stairs I squeeze her hand and say,"I'm sorry."

Clarissa gives me an icy glare and says,"You have nothing to be sorry about, girl on fire." She walks and takes a seat beside Sandy.

I reach my hand into the boy reaping bowl and pick a piece of paper. "Ryder Jackson," I say to the microphone.

An eighteen-year old boy grunted and came up. He looked tough and exotic, but not really handsome. This guy might actually stand a chance. He has black hair and tan skin.

The guards bring the tributes inside the president's mansion and let them say goodbye to their loved ones.

The mentors sit in a large room and everyone starts chatting. Peeta is talking with Beetee. I head over to Johanna Mason.

"Hey Johanna. How do you like your tributes?" I ask. Johanna makes a face,"They don't have a chance to survive. They're both petite." I laugh,"I got Clarissa. Snow's granddaughter."

"I know. I can't believe you picked her name. How does her name sound half decent?" she asks. Usually people in the Capitol have weird names.

Just then we hear the train that will take us to District 1.