16~ Maurice

"Hello?" I ask into the other end of the phone after the operator recites all the shit she has to.

"Hey daddy? How's everything going?" I smile at the sound of kia's voice until I hear laughing in the background.

"Its goin good baby girl, who you wit?" She pauses and I assume its a nigga.

"Ummm. Just some friends pops nuthin major."

"Is that friend a nigga?" I ask already knowing the answer.

"Maybe." I shake my head at her answer.

I don't need my daughter going down the wrong path. Maybe Nikole is a bad influence on her. I don't think I could fathom the thought of Kia running around with a different guy every month or even her engaging in sex at her age. But Kole, I swear her mothers right about her. Adriane might be crazy but she isn't the baby mother of both of my kids on accident.

"Kia, don't do nuthin stupid. But anyways, I heard y'all fixed the problem."

"Mhm."

"So you got an attitude now?" I swear the both of them don't like their teeth.

"No, but I talk to your lawyer this morning and she said that there's no way she can get you off now and you might be doing more than 3 years because some one snitched." I look at the phone like she can see my annoyed expression.

"Oh word. Look find out who the nigga is and I want him handled, but don't let anything get pass."

"Ok."

"Your call will be ending in 2 minutes" the voice recording says.

"Dad I'll come see you monday so we can talk more."

"Ight baby girl, I love you."

"I love you too." She hangs up the phone and I do the same and get up rubbing my hand across my face.

I hate the fact that I have my girls doing my dirty work but who better to be doing my work for me than my own blood. The guard leads me back to my cell where my cell mate tuff is doing pushups in the right corner I laugh at the nigga and shake my head climbing on the top bunk.

What nigga hates me enough to snitch? Or is dumb enough to open his mouth to 12 about my street doings. My name along side my daughters now strike fear in peoples hearts. I haven't yet heard of them having any problems with anybody even rival gangs but I'm starting to think the powers going to their heads.

Kole used to be the quiet one, the one I never had to worry about, I was the only one she wanted to please. Anything and everything I asked of her she did with no questions asked. Nikole was the child that most black parents wanted. Stayed home, head in her books, never talked back, never got in trouble, all until she was 14 and them dusty ass little boys wanted her.

I remember the first time she got arrested.

It was 8:05 and she was walking out the house to go to the bus stop when her mother stopped her.

"What the fuck is all this about you humpin somebody?"

She looked back at her mother as if she spoke another language.

"If you weren't always being nosey you would see that I told him no, you always assuming but never stop to ask."

Adriane slit her eyes at Kole while she walked out of the house as if the conversation was over and she had won. But little did she know adriane had started her day with a little liquid courage. She grabbed Kole by her hair and dragged her back onto the porch before cornering her between the door and porch railing.