Chapter 36 ~ Pit

I HAVE RETURNED

and Kratos is killing me ;-; is it gonna be focused on Ken this time with the whole Greek gods thing? ugh they're ruining me

---

I felt the pain before I blacked out for the umpteenth time - unfortunately. And when I woke again, I was only able to hear screams. Ken's screams. I was no longer numb, thankfully, and I opened my eyes.

The restraints were off somehow, but I didn't want to question that just now. I was free, and that was all that mattered. I realized there was a wide pit, one half the size of a large field for playing soccer in. The pit seemed to have no visible end - and Ken was held above it, legs dangling. Terre had him by his left hand, holding him from death. Ken's other hand, I realized, was tied to his side. His face showed a pained expression.

What is going on? Hongbin sounded like he was working with Terre, Terre I had just met who-knows-long ago, Terre was going to kill his only brother, Leo was someplace and could be dead for all I knew... How about others? I felt like most of what had happened to me before was all a dream. My mind was severely disoriented, and I couldn't piece things together to make that many predictions.

"Stop!" I shouted to Terre. I couldn't hurt him in any way - he'd drop Ken for sure. Terre faced me. Then something struck within me.

"Ken!" N shouted. "Ken!" There was the pit again. Ken was being held over the edge by Terre. "Don't you dare drop him!"

N, Ken and that mysterious person disappeared. Instead, I was being held above the pit again by chains. "R-Ravi?" Leo was on the edge of the pit, looking up at me with glossy eyes. "Don't die," he pleaded.

"It's more important that you don't give up," I tell him. "It's game over if you do."

This was similar to the moment in my vision I had gotten from the chains. But what did that mean? Why had I been shown this if I hadn't been able to prevent it?

"You." Terre paused, looking for the right words. "There's no chance for you anymore." Terre let go of Ken's hand, who fell with another shout. I dove after Ken, angling my wings. I dove faster than he did with my wing positioning, and I eventually caught him. With a powerful and difficult move, I gave a power flap with my wings. As if a bullet trying to stop mid-shot, I stopped falling mid-air with a hard turn. Ken gripped my arms tightly. I quickly resumed flapping my wings, creating power to push Ken and I back up. It worked, but it was sapping my energy quickly - and seeing that I didn't get food or water for a long while, my energy was depleting quickly.

I foolishly looked up at Terre, who's eyes gave out a powerful glow that took over my vision. Not this again. I tried to look away, but I was already stuck in it.

"Ravi!" Ken shouted. It didn't work. This was it, then. I felt myself slow and begin to fall.

As my mind shifted into even more of a mess, the light began to fade. I realized Ken had both his palms faced towards Terre, whose body was shaking visibly from even down far below. I regained altitude and began to fly with large, strong strokes.

"What are you doing?" I shouted to Ken.

"Just a witch trick. Keep flying!" I obeyed, reaching the surface. I threw myself to the side to safety, gasping for air. I hadn't realized I had used that much energy. My body was shuddering similarly to Terre's previously, and sweat trickled down my face. Ken stood and fought Terre with his own tricks from witchery.

Leo? I transmitted.

Ravi! I smiled at Leo's mental voice.

Where are you?

I don't know - but I'm with everyone else. Can you try and sense us? I indeed could feel all of my other companions through sensing - and they weren't that far away. Only, I realized the exit was only up - out of a hole far above in the ceiling. It was almost as if I was in a volcano of some sort.

I'll be there soon. I hoped my words would come to be true.

---

Leo's POV

"He's coming," I told all the others. We were in a tight stone room, all once tied up until we had all awoken and untied one another. Hongbin and Hyuk were trying to transmit to Ken to no avail. Taemin and Kai were trying to locate where we were by sensing any living thing nearby, only to come up with the half-witches and Ravi. Other than that, there seemed to be no life forms nearby. N had fallen unconscious for seemingly no reason soon after he was untied - but was still breathing healthily, heart beating well.

"Ken's in a fight," Hyuk informed the rest of us. "With Terre. He says Ravi's worn from no food and water."

"We all are," Taemin said aloud. "Here - Leo, you have to eat. Ravi won't be happy if he sees you starved." Taemin brought an arm to my face. I shook my head insistently.

"No. You're in a pretty bad state, too."

"If you drink, you'll be able to help Ravi when he gets here." He had a point. If Ravi arrived and just collapsed, that would make matters worse. I grudgingly agreed and drank from Taemin's wrist, still not used to drinking blood. It didn't taste like anything - but that could just be because of my stale, dry taste buds.

I immediately felt the effects of the blood - I felt energized, and the color was returning to my skin and filling in the ghostly pale. I could think more clearly, too.

N began to stir. "N hyung!" Kai cried, shaking him. "N!" Eventually, N's eyes opened.

"Huh? Where... oh. Where's Ravi? Ken?" N asked, panicked.

"Ravi's coming. He woke again," Hongbin told N, almost too calmly. "Ken's battling Terre. And Ken said Ravi's pretty tired without any food or water for a long while."

"Can we escape from here?" N then asked. "Can't we help make Ravi's job easier in any way?"

"We tried," Taemin reassured N. "We can only wait. I suspect this is a place that only has an entry and no exit." N nodded.

"But why are you so pale? You're paler than the rest." Taemin explained that he had given me some of his blood to ready me for Ravi, but mid-sentence, there was a rumble and vibration through the earth. The floor shook.

"Ah!" Hyuk cried out, hitting his head against the wall behind him softly.

"The entrance must be opening!" Taemin said aloud. A wall slid to the side, revealing a light that was much too bright for my eyes that had been left in the dark for too long. I squinted, barely making out Ravi's figure. When our eyes met, I cried out in happiness and threw myself to him into an embrace without second thought.

.-.