Chapter 13 ~ Broken

On my way back to the previous area, I kept having second thoughts. Maybe the others were right. Maybe the dream... was just a dream. It was very possible that N actually spoke to me in the dream, but it could also have been just a dream my mind made up. Well, if it was just made up, I could go to the plain and find nothing and go back. Sure, it'd be embarrassing to tell the others, but it'd be better since I didn't have to risk my life for the hundredth time. I arrived at the area, and sighed. There N was with a disinterested look on his face, and he was examining his claws that were already out.

"How do I know I can trust you?" I asked him first thing. I could beat him and have him trick me. If you could be eternal and it was determined by a battle, would you trick the opponent? Most would say yes. 99%, I'm guessing.

"You can keep me in the position to die and I'll send the blade. Telepathically ask your friend if they got it," N replied, looking at me and lowering his hand. "Are you trying to stall?"

"What, no!" N smiled. I had to keep calm - if I got angry, I'd go frantic and probably screw up quicker. N stood up straight, and began to shift. His clothes went black and his hair went red again. His claws and teeth lengthened more. His eyes glowed red with gold rings. His wings extended widely, silver tipped. I shifted to my true form as well, this time quicker. N still had dark smoke rising from underneath him like last time. I didn't. N formed a blade from the shadows. So we were going to play sword fight again? Maybe he was, but I don't have to. A formed a circular shield from the shadows, and held it in my left hand. Electric blue lightning jumped all around my right arm. N ran at me, coming down hard on my shield. I thought I already heard a faint crack from the defensive tool. I shot a ball of electricity at him from under the shield, pulled the shield away and brought my arm down on him. The electricity ran from my arm to his body, but it didn't do anything. It just got absorbed by the darkness. N's eyes brightened for a moment. And slashed at me again. I blocked in time, but he was stronger. I had to actually do something to him - if that made sense, I couldn't use something like the dark or lightning or fire or anything. I had to do it myself. If I used an element, the void would, well, void it. Then he'd take the energy from me. I felt the shield shake under the force of the blade. I pushed and the blade fell away from the shield. I backed away a bit from N. He only kept the menacing, fanged grin. The blade dissolved into the shadows again. He was finished with playtime. Now was the battle. I tossed my shield to dissolve as well. I threw myself at N, planning to pin him down. N created a forcefield and I hit it like it was a brick wall. I was getting too worked up. I had to strategize. N probably had a plan, and I had to make one too. But before I could do anything, the dark smoke wrapped around my neck like it had done to Hongbin before. But it didn't choke me too much, just pulled me up close to N. I struggled to be free, tried to hit N, but he was an inch too far from my reach. I instinctively shot fire at him, but it was absorbed again. N tilted his head in amusement. I was feeling weaker - he was stealing my energy and strength and making it his. He was growing stronger. The feeling of being drained like this reminded me of getting bitten by Leo last night. The darkness eased, and N pinned me down.

"Y-You want more power, s-still?" I asked him. "That's what y-you want from me?"

"No." N didn't elaborate, didn't explain anything else. He only placed one hand over my heart, and dark smoke trailed up from the area, up his arm and to him. I screamed in pain, trying to kick or hit N somehow to get him to stop. What was he doing, if he wasn't trying to take my strength? N placed the hand from the heart over to my forehead, making an invisible line across it with his thumb. Then all went black.

"Stop!" I screamed. "Let him go!" N held a limp Leo by the neck, holding him up so his feet didn't touch the ground. Leo was shaking softly, and blood fell from his chest where a large gash was. A bloody sword was held in N's other hand. All I could do was plead, chained away.

The next scene was in the same stone brick room, with the same dim lighting of a solo torch. Taemin was in tears over Kai who was lying, unmoving.

The scene changed again. A crying Hongbin was holding Hyuk in a hug-like position, only Hyuk had his head limp and back. His eyes were open, paralyzed in fear.

"You can't do this!" I shouted at N. I was in complete darkness, only N being visible like the dream I had.

"They're all gone physically or mentally, Ravi. You didn't do anything to help." N melted back into the dark. I fell to what was the ground, and shook. No. They are safe. It was an illusion, right? Then second thoughts filled in. N separated you to keep them vulnerable, a new thought hissed.

"No! It's not real, it-it's not!" I screamed, willing myself to make it true. But my mind was set. I closed my eyes, tears falling down my cheeks. I let myself fall unconscious in the mysterious dark.