Chapter 16 ~ Can't

I brought the blade down.

It stopped a finger's width from N's chest, and shook with my hands. My whole body trembled. "Do it," someone whispered. It was so soft I couldn't say who had spoken. I gathered willpower and raised the sword again.

It fell to the bare floor with a clank.

I looked at my shaking hands with... What did I feel? Pain? Worry? Anger? A mix of all three?

"I... I-I can't. This is like a cliche, but I can't."

"Ravi..." Hongbin paused. "What are you doing? Give me the blade." When I didn't move, Hongbin himself grabbed the blade. He raised it and lowered it with full force. I caught the blade. "What's wrong with you?"

"N-Nothing." I pulled the blade and took it, and made it disappear like how I pulled it from wherever N had stowed it away.

"Ravi!" Leo said. "Were you betraying us all along, then? You worked for N the whole time, didn't you?"

"No, I didn't," I said firmly. "It's just..." I didn't know how to explain what I felt. I didn't like N, but he didn't deserve to die. He only did what he thought was best, and it backfired to me falling in love. I would be killing him because I fell in love. That wasn't fair. And there was something else, some other reason... Well, N made me. He was right. He didn't make me to kill me, or make me to kill him. He tried many times to make me, and the result? His own death. I pulled the darkness away, still feeling pain from the potion. I pulled N up to his feet. He said nothing for a while, and there was an uncomfortable silence. N raised a hand, hesitating and his eyes asked me for permission. I nodded ever so slightly, and closed my eyes. I felt N's cold hand caress my cheek.

"Why?" Hyuk asked. I didn't blame him. I'd ask the same thing in his spot.

"I don't know," I told him, eyes still closed. N still didn't speak and his hand trailed down my cheek, and stroked my chest. I growled, but it wasn't a warning growl. It was a growl... of trust, I guess you could say. Of acceptance. I didn't actually trust N, but I had a certain connection to him. Then I became his enemy, his chaser and his prey. I felt confusion fly everywhere in the air.

"Can I... Talk to you alone?" N asked finally. His voice was much quieter. I opened my eyes and nodded.

"He's go-"

"He won't hurt me," I assured Leo.

"If I hurt him, you are entitled to killing me," N promised. N took my wrist and we teleported to one of his two rooms. He gestured for me to sit, so I sat on a fancy chair across his own. A small circular table was between us. I quickly scanned the room. We were sitting at a side of the wide room. N had a bed for two, with heavy, crimson drapes open around it. There was a wall of valued weapons, of blades and staffs and everything in between. To another side was a large table and a single chair that faced a window. Next to the bed was a stash of books. They were shelved tightly and continued up for a while. On the other side of the bed was a small bedside table, and a dish of fire hung in the corner.

"Why?" N repeated Hyuk's question. Though I answered differently.

"I wanted to. N, er, master, I don't blame you for anything. So I can't just kill you..." I explained what I thought. That I had targeted him only because I fell in love. That he made me, and that this wasn't the way I was supposed to act to him. His own creation shouldn't do this.

"I understand... no. I don't understand. Ravi... Wonshik-ah, thank you." Silence fell over us again. It was then that I noticed that N had changed a lot, physically. His eyes had dark rings under them, and had bruises here and there on his limbs. He looked so tired. His red eyes were closer to the brown shade they sometimes are than before. I watched as his eyelids dropped halfway, then shot back up.

"You should rest," I tell him. "Please. Did you sleep recently?"

"No. How can I sleep now, though? With you, and with the other three boys waiting?"

"They'll understand. I'll tell them to go back, that I'll see them at where we had been resting. You can sleep." N considered it, then nodded. I transmitted to the others that they had to return to the house and explain what happened to Taemin and Kai. They protested, but they knew they couldn't change anything.

"What will you do?"

"What will Ken do?" I ask instead.

"I don't know. He ran off, saying he had seen a relative after all those years alone. He said he'd return in the future, but..." N shrugged. "Love is interesting. Love for anything." N stood up and slipped under the covers of his bed. A few minutes passed by, but I could see that N was thinking a lot about something... and he wasn't going to sleep. I waited in silence, and finally slipped into the red covers after N. He smiled, and I smiled back. He pulled me closer, and stroked my neck again. I growled with the same trusting growl.

"Master?"

"Call me N."

"N? Did you ever love someone... as a partner?" N sighed.

"No." There was another long silence.

"You're hungry and tired." I brought myself even closer to N, making sure he could get a good smell of my blood. His eyes flashed, but he shook his head.

"I'm not going to hurt you further," N said.

"No, I'm letting you do this." I pulled N's head closer to my collarbone area. N growled deeply, a sound of hunger. Without control, he bit harshly down into my collarbone area. I grunted, and I felt myself drain like when Leo had fed from me. Only, N drank deeper and longer. He stopped after a long while, and pulled away.

"I drank too much..."

"No, you didn't," I assure him. N went back to caressing my face. He stroked me affectionately. I curled up slightly and buried my face in N's body, absorbing his warmth yet coldness. "I'm so sorry. About everything I did, everything I tried."

"If I-"

"No 'if's, N." My voice was muffled by N's shirt, but he heard me well. Things grew dark - I peeked out from N's clothes, and found he wrapped us with his wings like a protective barrier. I closed my eyes.

"I'm going to sleep," N said. We both drifted off into dreamland like that.