Chapter 12 ~ Rest and Dream

"What the heck?!" I stared at the candle, and the flame flickered off. Smoke trailed up into the air. I kicked the candle hard, and it rolled away.

"What... What?" I looked to Hongbin after hearing his voice. The cages had disappeared along with Ken. I looked to Leo, next. And indeed, he was waking up. I ran to Leo and dove to embrace him tightly, making us roll a bit. I buried my face in his fur, and felt him slowly shift back to his regular form. I grabbed his neck without hesitation and kissed him.

"What is going on?" He asks after we stop the kiss. I stand up.

"I know what happened," I tell Taemin and Kai. "At least, I think. When N was shifting back to his regular demon side, he didn't shift - he switched places with Ken. He looked really faded for a while, so I think that's the explanation."

"So you killed Ken and not N?" Hongbin asks. I nod.

"No, I don't think you did," Taemin says. "He left a candle with a green fire. That's a witch thing. Two candles are point A and point B. So Ken probably set up a point B before, and took his point A with him when he switched places. So he switched with N, and teleported to point B. And teleporting between points needs energy." The witch thing could explain his weird green eyes. I guess this all made sense. But this means I went through all that fighting for nothing. Ken and N were very much alive, as far as we knew.

"They took the blade," Leo added. I cursed at this.

"We can't do anything now!" I say, annoyed. "All we can do is wait for N and Ken to come up with another plan, and fall into it and try to somehow fight them. I bet they won't bring the blade. We'll have to go back to the Underworld for it, and somehow get it back without getting ourselves ambushed."

"Maybe there's another way?" Hyuk stepped out from the trees. Hongbin immediately ran to Hyuk and grabbed him into a hug.

"Where were you?!" Hongbin cries.

"I was going to help Ravi-hyung like I said, I promise, but N must've detected me and held me back. I couldn't move for a while."

"We stay together next time, okay?" Hongbin says desperately.

"Okay." Hyuk and Hongbin released each other.

"Guys, can we move away from here first of all?" Taemin asks. "We should find shelter. I'm not up for meeting another human." We all agreed, and Taemin carried Kai who was still badly injured as we made our way to wherever on the outer side of the neighborhood we had previously been walking by.

"You should probably shift back," Hongbin tells me. I had forgotten about my form. I shifted to my more human form.

"How did you do that, though?" Leo asked softly from beside me. No one added anything, as they were caught up in their own worlds. Hyuk and Hongbin were busy exchanging stories of what happened to each other. Taemin was comforting Kai.

"I'm not sure." I explained to Leo about the voice and how I shifted that way. "Do you think you can do something similar?"

"I just started," Leo reminds me.

"Sorry. You're just so casual with everything like you've been doing this your whole life and..." I shrugged. "It's just unbelievable."

"I'll take that as a compliment."

"You should." Soon, we made it to a rather rundown, older part of the neighborhood. We took the most decent seeming house. It was a single-floored, wide home that looked like it was supposed to be visited for a while, but the sign that said "For sale" said otherwise. Hyuk kicked down the sign as we passed by. The door was left unlocked - just our luck. Maybe fate decided to let us rest after what happened. We locked the door behind us, and Hyuk and Hongbin went to look through the whole place. The rest of us pulled the sheets off of the furniture - thanks to the sheets, the furniture was clean and empty of dust. Taemin set Kai down on a bed in the bedroom that we decided Taemin and Kai were to sleep in. Kai groaned when Taemin brushed his hand against Kai's injured arm.