Chapter 20: Didn't Know He Could Like Someone

Start from the beginning

"Lana." I say politely, with a small smile.

"Camilla Romano. May I ask what you are doing here?" She asks me after she shakes my hand. She still has that smile on her face but I know better. Her eyes say differently. You know how people say that eyes are the windows to your soul or some shit like that, well I think its true.

"I rece-" I start to say but Chris interrupts me.

"She got recruited on here Camilla." he says her name bitterly and stands up, going around the table to stand in front of her. "She's a made ma- well woman I guess." He shrugs, and Camilla's head snaps to Fransisco.

"How can she be a made ma-women, you can't just go from associates to a soldier that quick. I've never heard of her. Wh-" This time she gets interrupted by Fransisco.

"She's not a soldier." At this Camilla relaxes and nods, throwing me a smirk. But I give her one too. "She's a Capo." He says coolly, and sits back down on his brown leather chair, crossing his arms. As if saying, try me.

She keeps quiet for a moment and is fighting with herself, whether she wants to say something or keep her mouth shut. But unfortunately, her mouth gets the best of her. "Questa è la Cosa più stupida che io abbia mai sentito! (This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard!)" She throws her hands around fustrated and I narrow my eyes at her. She's pushing my buttons. "Capo, non puoi essere serio? (Boss, you can't be serious?" She still speaks in Italian, and there's really no use, but I'll just let her be.

"ENOUGH! You do not question my decisions Camilla!" He yells and Camilla shrinks back. I'm not even going to lie, I did too. "Am I really becoming that soft? Because there are so many people disrespecting me. Everybody get the fuck out of my face!" His voice echos throughout the room and everybody rushes out as if Fransisco was holding a gun at them. I stay back, along with Fransisco's two men, and I slowly rise from my seat.

"Boss, do you need something? A scotch or maybe... some rest?" I ask already shrinking in case he yells. Okay I'm ready. Go ahead....Why don't I hear yelling?

"No." He says sternly and looks deep in thought. I know when something is wrong, like I said I'm good at reading people. "Maybe some sleep but I can't afford it right now." He sits down in his chair, closes his eyes and rubs his temples.

"Sir may I ask what's wrong? And if you dont need my company I'm sorry if I have wasted your time." I apologize and turn on my heel to leave.

"Fine I'll say, but close my doors." He says softly. I close the doors shut and catch a glimpse of Camilla. I don't bother giving her a stink face so I shut the doors. "The other families are getting suspicious, asking about how and where do we get the money? I mean we're suppose to share some of the money but ...." he shakes his head and slumps back in his chair. "They want to hold a meeting at the.. I don't know a building down town."

I frown and sit down, near the boss. It feels weird calling him that. I always call him Fransisco, but he's right. He should be respected, he is the boss after all. "Soo... you're anxious maybe because you're not going to walk out alive or...?" I wait for him to give me his answer but it doesn't reply.

Mhm.. I have to do something, I saw how cruel the other families are. They're vicious and greedy for money. You definitely don't want to get on their bad side. Maybe I should go, I am the one who makes the most money. It's like a competition almost. You're suppose to get money someway, somehow, and give some to the boss and you keep the rest. It's easy really, but it's not always easy, especially for the people who want to become apart of the family. The beginners.