Chapter 10: I Want To

I was standing there embarrassed that I even asked. I knew how the mafia worked, you had to be Italian or part Italian, and there were some other ways, I had just forgotten. This was all for an assignment for school, and I was actually happy to know the knowledge of all of this. I was always interested in these things. It was history and I loved history.

I think Daniel was choking on air, Chris had a blank face and Antonio had a boring look.

I feel bad for who ever has to date him. Mhm Rose that was kind of mean.

"Rose do you even--" I interrupt him, by placing a hand in front of his face, knowing what he's going to ask.

"Yes I do know what the mafia is, I'm not an idiot." I say, knowing that I probably can't join, but I don't care, I would do anything to be in it. Life isn't at its greatest anyways, I knew that by joining I was playing with fire, but that didn't matter to me. Nothing mattered anymore. I was mad at the world, at god, for letting these things happen to me. The emotions really got to me, both the accident and the breakup. I was basically throwing my life away by joining something that was gonna kill me.

"Rose you're..." he takes his time to find the right words. I wonder what he's going to say.

"She's too nice." I turn around and glare at Daniel. He holds his hands up, surrendering."Hey its true." He adds

"She's sensitive, too girly, and she probably can't even use a gun." I get taken aback by Antonio's words. He's been observing me this whole time. I squint my eyes at him and point at him.

"You know nothing about me, so how about you sit there and keep your mouth shut. Got it gorilla man?!" We hold a staring contest, and I look away not wanting to look at his ug-- actually, he's not that ugly. He's handsome and very muscular, that black shirt he got on, squeezes his biceps. I don't know if he's uptight but he sure damn well looks like it. He also looks very intimidating.

Never mess with him, Rose.

Daniel looks down, hiding his grin. I look back at Chris with a serious face, and arch my brow.

"Rose when you get in, you can't get out, it's like you're chained into the family. And you have to sw--"

"Swear omerta. I know, I know. And this whole ritual thing. But you know my life was already over the second you joined in. If anyone ever found out I was related to you, they'll use me to get to you, somehow." I wave my hand. I didn't know this information was going to come in handy. "I want to speak to your boss man."

"Um no." He gets up from his desk and goes around, sitting back in his black, comfortable chair.

"But weren't you just saying and I quote, 'That's why I brought her here."

He rubs his temples and sighs. He thinks he's tired, I'm the one getting tired of this. "I can't let you join Rose. It's too dangerous. I mean I didn't really bring you here to join. I only wanted you near me. You're all I have and I wanted to protect you. I was stupid enough to join and I won't let you do the same mistake." He admitted.

"I could be useful you know. I know it's not a game or—"

"Damn right it's not a game, Rose think twice about this." Daniel looks at me with pleading eyes. He's acting too weird, I remember in school when he use to "flirt" and mess around with me.

I turn away, feeling guilty, something I can't feel when I join the mafia, If. But still.

"Please, there's nothing out there for me. I- I can help you with the whole thing, I just don't want a regular job. I can't stand that. And I don't want to move to Georgia again."I plead. "If you don't let me join, I'll go back." I threatened even though I didn't think it would hurt him.