Darkness Weighs Heavy On Hurting Hearts.

It was only a few days we were gone.  We traveled about the world.  I should have done this sooner.  It was such a beautiful place.  Just as petty as we supreme beings could be, so were humans.  They constantly bickered amongst themselves.  And their leaders were something I didn't want to even talk about.  But the daily lives of the average humans, they were beautiful.  The simple thing of a cooked meal meant so much to others.  And the return of a loved one from a trip was heartwarming.  That was what both worlds should be.  One can dream.  But this kind of life, traveling with someone I loved, that wasn't a viable option.  And as the saying goes all good things must come to an end.  But even I didn't expect the ending to be like this.

It had been two weeks.  Two weeks since she had killed Sam.  Even Sam tried to defend her.  They kept telling me that it was the thing possessing her.  Somewhere deep, deep down I knew that was true, but I couldn't find the heart to forgive her.  We had just finished another hunt.  Sam and I kept busy after that incident.   Even Sam's word were irritating me.  But I just couldn't let it go.  Sam returned to the room while I headed to the bar that was in walking distance.  A young woman grabbed my attention while I took a sip of my beer.  She smiled and flirted with me.  We chatted for a bit.  But it was her who suggested we head back to her room.  This was my type of girl.  So we finished our drinks and headed out.  She opened the door to the room.  I went in after her.  The door slammed shut as I was left in the room alone.

"What the hell?" I growled.

"Good to see you too, Dean," Crowley's voice echoed before the lights came on.

"What do you want?"

"I want to make a deal."

"I'm not giving my soul up again," I hissed.

"Oh, no I don't want that.  See we have a mutual disdain for a certain angel's pet.  I think we could help each other."

"And why would I do that?"

"Revenge? Pride? Take your pick. I don't care what your motivation is," he grinned.

"It wasn't her that killed Sam.  It wouldn't have happened if you hadn't cut off her powers."

"Is that what she's telling you?  Her father was a mere warrior.  No magic.  And somehow he didn't let that happen."

"What?"

"Oh, the things she hides."

"You're not exactly trustworthy yourself."

"I'm not asking much.  I just need a touch of blood from her.  How much you spill is up to you. But you'll need this," he said leaving a knife on the table, "I'm sure you'll make the right decision."

He was gone before I could respond.  The knife glimmering from the light on the same table.  I picked up the knife covered in markings. But if she lied, if she had the ability to control it.  Then she meant to kill Sam.  After all she went after that amulet.  She never was particularly strong. This was all part of her plan.  Most angels didn't trust other deities. Cas didn't even know what she was at one point.  I held the knife tightly in my hand.   Crowley was right, I knew what I had to do.

Castiel and I were sitting on the edge of the Great Wall one morning.  The sun was just starting to rise on the horizon. His hand clasped around mine.  We didn't talk about much of anything.  It was just nice to be carefree for a while. Centuries spent fighting really wears on you.  The sun painted an array of colors across the waking sky.  The deep blue of the night was chased away by bright oranges and pinks.  Some colors I couldn't even find the words to describe.

"This has been nice," I said.

"Has been?" Cas asked.

"We, erm, you should probably get back.  I'm sure the Winchesters have gotten into all sorts of messes."