Together as One 18 - 21

Magsimula sa umpisa

I smiled, “Thanks.”

Ghost nudged me, flipping his head towards the outcropping, I smiled and followed, as we sat down, Ghost pressed his side up against me, and I returned the gesture, by putting my head in the crease of his neck, “Thank you… for coming back.” He whispered.

I giggled, “You actually thought I was dead…?” He sat in silence, not confirming or denying. I smiled, “I would never leave such young pups behind without a mother….”

Ghost looked at me, a look of shame in his eyes, “I’m sorry… I….” He couldn’t finish, instead he buried his nose in my neck, which startled me a little, and he took in a long breath. 

I had to laugh, “Did you miss me THAT much…?” I said, smiling widely.

He growled, which shocked me, “You have no idea…”

“And I hope I never have to…” I whispered, but I wasn’t quite sure if he heard. I smiled as I heard quick little paw steps running up behind us, and the little calls of my two youngest pups, “Mommy!!”

I smiled as the three of Ghost and I’s pups arrived at our sides, “Hi guys… sorry it took so long to get back…”

They all smiled, “It’s ok… as long as you came back…” Bell said, and I had to smile, even though I felt like crying, if I could’ve.

Chaos looked at me a little confused, “Mom… Why didn’t you bring Phantom back with you…?” I choked, coughing a little. I looked over at Ghost and he lightly shook his head the words, I’ll tell you later, crossing his lips.

I nodded, then without answering the young pup, turned to watch the sunset, with my family all at my side… but how long would this piece of mind last… how long would Ghost and I be together…

Chapter Nineteen – Burning Meadows…

I smiled, as I saw our VERY extended family all out playing in the grass of a meadow near our home. It looked like the dying sun, or maybe a burning flame, but I was happy that we could all be together as a family again. I looked up as the darkening clouds swirled over head. I grumbled a little, “Stupid storms anyways…” 

Ghost laughed beside me, “As a Duck… you should like water…” 

I growled playfully, then pinned him to the ground. The rest of our family joined in and soon we were having a ball. I paused, looking up at the sky again, my heart was uneasy… I knew something was coming… something that would change everything. 

I looked around at the wolves around me, my eyes lingering on those that had a very special place in my heart, the one holding the most, Ghost, was the last I looked at, and the one who held my gaze the longest…

As the first bolt of lightning struck the ground, I looked up at the sky. I growled, lurching to stand beside Ghost, as a big thundering crack rang through the air, “Were there any wolves left at the den…?” I asked, but then it struck me, “Chaos…!!” I said, whipping my head around and starring at Ghost. 

He nodded, and turned to the pack, but I wasn’t wasting any time, I bolted to the den site, jumping and weaving through the forest.

As I hit the clearing another bolt of lightning struck a tree near-by, cracking it in half, I gasped in horror as the tree started to fall towards the den site entrance, I gathered my strength and raced inside, grabbing a half asleep Chaos and throwing him out the entrance. I heard him yelp as he hit the ground. Then everything went black as the tree hit the den’s entrance…

GHOST

I raced through the tree towards the den site, hard on Duck’s tail. I watched her dive into the den and saw Chaos be thrown out. I moved before I even knew what I was doing, and braced myself as part of the tree’s branch covered the entrance.