We Meet Again - 6 - 11

Chapter Six – Small and Frail… 

The winter had, finally, completely passed and our lands were now in full bloom, with the springtime affairs. I sat and listened as Rose huffed and puffed, with the heavy labor of giving birth to her pups. I was a little worried because she didn’t have much milk, meaning the pups were being born too early. 

I looked up as I heard the first whimpering of a new born pup. A smile lit up across my face. Rose only had me with her now, but she still needed her space, so I was waiting outside, just in case she needed me.

I sat waiting through the night, not really knowing what I was supposed to do. I was getting worried, because the pups whimpers and suckling started to quiet down. I almost got up once in the middle of the night, but I decided better of it, and lay back down waiting until the next morning.

I looked up as Rose came out of her whelping den, but something was wrong, when Rose’s face met mine I saw that she had a long, horrified face, “What’s wrong Rose…?” I asked, standing up in alarm.

She looked up at me, and I saw that there was hurt in her eyes, “My first…” she trailed off, and looked at me, with a look I had only seen once before, in the face of my mother when Moon Stone and I’s younger brother had died. 

I looked to Rose, then to her den, and then back again, “What…” I trailed off as Rose walked away her tail dragging behind her.

I sprang up the rocky ledge into Rose’s den, I sniffed around, and found, her pups, but they weren’t little furry balls of fun. They were tiny little pups, there were only two of them, but sadly neither one of them had survived the night. Being born early had got the best of them. I sighed, of course I had no idea how Rose felt, being only two and a half, and never having had a mate, but I had a pretty good idea of the heart break and disappointment Rose felt.

I picked each pup carefully up in my mouth and took them outside, to bury them in the dirt, they may not have been very old, but this was something that I had to do, out of respect for the small frail bodies.

As I finished covering the little pup’s, in their small grave together, I looked up to the sky, and howled a song of grief, and love, because even though they weren’t my pups, I knew they at least deserved that. I also sent a pray to Lupus to make sure and help them along the way. I turned and walked away, not exactly knowing, but feeling, that this disaster would cause some problems for Moon and Rose. 

Chapter Seven – Just as Predicted…

It had been two days since Rose had come back and told Moon what had happened to their pups, and ever since then, every chance they got, they had been yelling and fighting with each other nonstop. 

I lay next to Ghost, once more, and watched as Rose and Moon lit out at each other, over the loss of their first litter of pups. I sighed, “This is hopeless…” I growled and walked up to them, “Now listen here you two… This happens ALL the time!!” I turned to Rose mainly directing this statement to her, “A pup that isn’t grown, and that you just met you can let go, because even though you love them they haven’t had a big part in your life yet, but a mate that you have known forever, is something you can’t replace! Yes, I knew that you loved those pups, but they were small and weak. What good would that do us?!” 

I rounded on Moon, “Now look here buster… This WASN’T Rose’s fault!!! It was just a… part of nature!” I looked at them both, as the sense of the words that I had just preached, seemed to hit them both right on the head, and knock some sense into them. 

I walked away fuming, I had had enough of all their nonsense for the last two days, and I wanted to be far away from the two of them.

I only turned around once, and saw that Ghost was getting up to follow me, he looked to me, and he mouthed the words, “Can I come?”