As a Shining Star - Chapters 6 - 11

Chapter Six – Together Again…

“Duck!!!” I yelled as I walked through the sea of trees, “Duckheart!!!” I paused there was silence, I had lost her trail by a stream that she swam across, “What kind of wolf swims a stream?” I whispered.

DUCK

I heard him calling, but I didn’t feel like answering, that wolf had broken my heart once and I didn’t feel like it being broken again. I sat on the hill watching the stars. I just sat there watching them dance cross the sky.

“Wow! How wonderful would it be to be a star with no worries what so ever?” I whispered. I lay my head down on my paws. I knew Ghost pretty well and I knew that he would find me sooner or later.

GHOST

“Gosh dang it Duck!!” I growled wandering around. I walked around through the trees some more. I came across a small hill, and knowing that Duck liked to watch the stars I figured I should start there. As I came to the top of the hill I froze, there she was… As black as night as always, but something was different, right now the Duck in front of me was… well she looked hostile.

“Hey… Duck are you ok?”

DUCK

“WHAT DOES IT LOOK LIKE TO YOU?!?” I screamed standing up.

“Whoa there tiger… Chill!” He paused. “Can we talk Duck? Calmly…” Ghost said watching me.

“WHAT IS THERE TO TALK ABOUT?! DID YOU COME HERE TO BREAK MY HEART AGAIN LIKE YOU DID BEFORE?!” I said whirling around and screaming at Ghost.

I knew he would be ready for me to blow up like I did, but what I didn’t expect was what he did next. Ghost pinned me to the ground, he put face close to mine, “Now listen here missy! I didn’t come here to break your heart and I sure as night turns into day didn’t come here to get yelled at by you. Actually I came here to tell you that, I like you Duck… a lot I always have and always will.” 

My heart skipped a beat and my mouth hung open, “Why didn’t you tell me that all those days ago?” I licked his nose, "I like you too, Ghost."

“I… didn’t have time.” Ghost said a little stunned. He allowed me to get up, after seeing that I had calmed down. 

“Hmph! I didn’t have time to tell you how stupid you are either, but I think that the point has been taken.” I said marching back down the hill.

“Hey! Where are you going?!” He growled running after me.

“To my home and my pack!” I said, not bothering to stop.

“Wow females sure do walk fast.” Ghost said catching up to me.

“Ha-ha very funny…” I said looking at him and glaring.

“You can’t take a joke anymore can you?” He said, finally catching up.

“I don’t really take that as a joke considering the fact that you are bigger than me.” I said looking at him out of the corner of my eye.

“Yea… I guess I still am bigger than you.” Ghost said.

I smiled and kept on walking. As we came closer to the pack’s den site I turned around and looked at Ghost, “Are you leaving me again… Or are you coming with me… into this pack?” 

He looked at me, then the bushes that kept the den out of site, “I’ll go with you… I promised, Honey I would look after you.”

I growled, “I don’t need you to look after me!!” I slipped into the entrance to the den site, with Ghost following close behind me, after having laughed his head off at my last remark. “Males…” I growled shaking my head.