Book 1- Whispering Winds - Chapters 1 - 5

CHAPTER ONE- MOMMY AND DADDY

I nestled further down into my mother’s warm belly fur trying to escape the cold air around me. I felt a warm, wet thing rasp across my back. I whined and my eyes quickly shot open, “Mum that hurted!” I growled.

She giggled watching me, “You need a bath little one.”

“I DON’T WANT ONE!” I stated clearly and boldly.

She watched me, “You need one.” Her tongue rasped across my back once again. I jumped up and backed away. I tumbled head over tail outside the den, I looked around awing at the sight before me.

“Wow!” I whispered. I looked around seeing all the wolves in my pack my brothers Moos and Echo, my sisters Tally and Sky, my grandmas Susie and Lizzie, and my two grandfathers Zip and Zap. I looked around, knowing that there were many more wolves in our pack, Where are they all? I wondered. Just then my father, Snowblizzard showed up into front of me.

“Whoa there, Ducky girl what are you doing outside?” He asked.

“Escaping a bath.” I growled.

He laughed, “Getting feisty our we now.” It was more of a comment than a question so all I did was shook my head. Before my mother, Cloud came out to get me my father allowed me to play with my older siblings. He would give me tips on how to fight them and how to pounce on them.

“Come on guys, it’s getting late.” Cloud called.

“Aw but mom.” All of us pups said in unison.

“NOW!” My mom growled. We all scurried to our dens, except for me, I went over to my father and lay down beside him, and before my mother could udder one word I was fast asleep. Before I was completely asleep I heard my father gently whisper to my mother, “Let her sleep here with me tonight.”

My mother hesitated, “As long as I can join the pile.” She said. I felt my father nod his head. My mother laid down beside me squishing between the two. I would’ve complained, but I knew that it was going to be cold tonight, so I just let it be. I curled in between my parents, both of them laughing as I did it. My father lay his head on his paws, then my mother lay her head on his neck. I fell asleep in the warmth of my parents, under the stars for the first time.   

CHAPTER TWO- ALONE 

(Six months later) 

I was poked in the side and my father leaned down and whispered in my ear, "Get up Duckheart." I moaned today was the day that I got my first lesson in hunting. I wasn't to excited about it. My father was strict about getting things done right the first go around, as for my mother, she used to be very easy going, when I didn't get something done right in the first day we tried it she would say, "It's ok little one. You'll get it tomorrow."

"Get up now Duck!" my father growled, pulling me out of my nest. I quickly got up and walked outside, I looked around and I saw the remaining members of the pack, my older brother Moss, my older sister Dawn, and my mother's parents. "Duckheart get a move on!" my father growled getting annoyed. Now I know where I get my temper from. I thought. The pack ways hadn't been the same since about two months ago. Most of the pack had been killed by the Black Bloods, including my mother. My mother being gone took away a lot of my father, seeing him walking around made me think of a ghost.

"Let's go." my father growled losing his temper. I ran after him as he walked away into the woods. I followed him for what seemed like two hours. I could tell something was wrong; my father was tense, and very alert. I also knew that we weren't on our pack's land anymore, so we had to be in the Black Bloods land. Oh no, this can't be good. Is he to lost in his thoughts to notice? Maybe I should say something... I thought. Before I could even open my mouth, the most chilling voice rang over the eerily silent trees.

"Well, well, well look what we have here." said a black she-wolf stepping out of the shadows. I whined, Oh great. I screamed in my head. 

My father leaned down close to me and whispered in my ear, "Ducky girl, run as far and as fast as you can, if she makes a move, or starts a fight. Know that no matter what happens your mother and I will always be with you, and that we will always love you, not matter what you do. I know that the path ahead of you will be nothing like any others. Look to the stars for guidance if you ever get lost, and always carry the memories you had of our pack, your family, and your friends in your heart, and NEVER let them fade away." 

Just as my father looked up the female wolf leapt. "RUN!!!" my father screamed standing in the way of the she-wolf, who was trying to get to me. I turned around and I bolted. I ran and ran and ran and I didn't look back. Before I was out of ear shot of the two fighting wolves I heard the growling, snarling, and the bone chilling snap of my father’s neck bone.

"If you ever come back you little runt, I'll kill you. Just know the rest of your family is dead, and there is nowhere for you to run to." the she-wolf called.

I ran through the darkness not knowing where I was going, all I did know was that I was truly alone. I kept running tears streaming down my face, until I was too tired to run anymore. I found a small cave in a pile of rocks, so I lay down and I fell asleep not knowing or caring what troubles and triumphs awaited. All I cared about right now was sleep.