A Sad Solution

When they finally got back to the bunker, Dean hugged me close to him. "We're home, it's alright. We'll figure this out." I glanced down at my arm, then looked into his eyes. "I hope you're right Dean, Jo and Ellen don't really have a plan." Jo came in with Sam, whispering about something. I sighed and pulled away from Dean, kissing him quickly before heading off to find Ellen. She was sitting in the library, looking through old texts. I sat in front of her and put my hand on her knee. "They're back." She glanced up at me and nodded. "Alright, I'll be out in a few minutes. Spend some time with Dean, you need it."

I walked back out into the "batcave" and hugged Dean from behind. "I missed you, stay with me for a while." I whispered, and he turned around. "Of course, I'm not letting you go now." He brushed the Mark on my arm and I shuddered slightly. His face instantly became worried, but I just tried to brush it off. "I'm fine Dean, Behemoth's trying to help me not give in. He's strong too, plus I know you believe in me, that's all I need." Dean nodded and we went back to our bedroom. I lay down, exhausted. We'd been searching for a clue to get rid of the Mark of Cain, but there was nothing. Dean smiled as he lay next to me and pulled me close to him. "Don't worry about anything Maeve, I'm here to protect you." I nodded and fell asleep in his arms, secrets swirling in my head.

Over the next few months, one option became clearer and clearer to me. Jo and Ellen had discussed it with me in private, but we all knew the boys would never agree. While the boys were off on a hunt, we met together and planned. "Jo, if I do this...I would have to leave him. For a period of time. I don't want him to know." Ellen nodded and gripped my hand tightly. "We'll wait until the time is right. You won't give into the Mark, I trust in you. Plus now you have a better motivation to not give in." I bit my lip, placing my hand over my stomach. I hadn't told Dean yet, or Sam. I didn't know how they'd react to a baby. We'd never discussed kids, and I didn't want him to have a negative reaction.

They came back later that day, and we had a plan in place. When they came home, I hugged them both tightly, and they seemed a bit shocked by my actions. "Maeve, are you okay?" I nodded and tried to smile. "Yeah, just glad to see you. When you're free, we have to meet in the library." They nodded, and Dean left to shower while Sam held up a bag of groceries. "Oh thanks, I was going to go out later." I muttered, and walked into the kitchen with the bag. He followed me and I groaned to myself. "Maeve, what is it?" I shook my head and put the stuff away. I could sense Sam losing his patience. "Maeve! Tell me please!" I turned around and put a hand on his shoulder.

He stared into my eyes and I smiled sadly at him. "We've got a plan...but you won't like it at all." I whispered, and he shook his head. "No there's something else, something you're hiding from us." I sighed before walking past him, heading towards the library. Everyone was in there, Dean's hair still damp from the shower. I ran my fingers through it as I sat next to him and smiled at him. I had decided to tell him later, after the meeting. Sam came in and once we were settled, Ellen took in a shaky breath. "Sam...Dean, you know Jo and I shouldn't be alive." Dean's back stiffened, and I knew he had figured out part of our plan. "No." 

Jo sighed and looked at me. "Maeve you don't seriously want to go through with this." he said angrily. "Dean! You don't know the whole plan, or why we have to do this." Both of the brothers looked upset, and Ellen reached out a hand to me. I gripped it tightly and smiled, nodding to her. She knew that I couldn't get stressed too easily, it could be bad for the baby, and the Mark preyed on those emotions. "Then explain why." Dean said, his fingers intertwining with mine under the table. Jo looked at me and I shook my head, but she smiled sadly and my eyes widened. "Maeve's pregnant, we don't want her having the Mark anymore." 

I nearly jumped at Jo, but Dean's expression made me stop. There were so many emotions mixed up in it, and I was worried. I'd been preparing myself for this moment, I'd played out multiple scenarios in my head. But the one I hadn't thought of was what happened. Dean hugged me gently and kissed my cheek. "Why didn't you tell me sooner? I thought it was something with the Mark." I smiled, feeling small tears form in my eyes. Sam was looking at me in shock, and Jo cleared her throat. "I'm sorry Dean, but we're doing this so you'll be safe." Sam shook his head, but it was too late.

Ellen came over and pulled me away from Dean. "No! You can't do this." he said angrily. "Dean! I want this! I don't want to be alive like this when I know it's wrong!" Jo yelled, and he was taken aback. "Maeve, give me the Mark." I gripped her arm and gasped as the Mark fought against being transferred. "I'm a killer too, the Mark will accept me." Jo explained to the boys as it left my arm. I gasped, as if a weight had been lifted off of me. I felt happier, and Jo turned to Ellen. "The blade, now." Ellen handed her the First Blade, and she began to shake violently. "Mom!! Do it, otherwise it won't work." I glanced over at Ellen, who was holding a small knife, her hand shaking. I pulled a knife from my coat and knelt in front of my friend. "I'm sorry Jo." I stabbed her in the heart and watched as she died.

Dean pulled me away as I cried. I knew what we had to do, and we were going to do it. "I'll see this plan through to the end." I whispered to myself, the promise I had made before the boys came home. Ellen gasped as Jo sat up, her eyes black. She gripped the blade in her hand, and I moved closer to her. "Maeve...get away." she said quietly, but I shook my head. I grabbed her hand that held the blade, moving it towards her chest. "Together or not at all?" Her eyes suddenly flicked back to their normal colour. She nodded and I gripped her hand. "I'll never forget you Joanna." Together we stabbed her through the chest, and her eyes lit up orange as she died. The Mark faded on her arm and the Blade disintegrated. 

Sam held Ellen as she cried, but then she pulled away and grabbed the knife from next to Jo. "This was the plan...I'll see you one day boys." and she stabbed herself with the blade. I gasped, holding out a hand to her. She reached for me, but fell back onto the floor, and I fell back into Dean. He held me tightly as I cried and Sam knelt in front of us. "Maeve...they died for us, not in vain. The Mark's gone...the Blade's gone, it's done." I nodded and looked up at Dean. "Let's get you to bed, you'll need the rest." he said quietly, helping me to our bedroom.

When we got there, he lay me down then sat next to me. "Why didn't you tell me earlier?" he asked, looked down at me. "I didn't know how you would react. We never talked about kids, and I'm scared Dean. I can't be a mother, I barely had a mother figure growing up." He stroked my hair and touched my stomach gently. "When did you find out?" he asked, and I bit my lip. "Two months ago." He sighed then lay next to me. "Of course I want kids, I never wanted them to grow up in the life, but there's no avoiding it is there?" I shook my head and he kissed me slowly. "Then we'll just do our best, and we'll have Sam to help us." I nodded and he pulled me into his arms. "Just sleep, everything can be sorted out tomorrow right?"

A.N.

Sorry that I haven't updated in...forever. 

This is the second last chapter of this book, and when I'm done I'll go through and edit the crap out of this book, add a lot to the first chapters which were really short and so on. 

Hope you enjoyed!

- Em ;)