Breaking Points

I clung onto Dean for dear life as the Mark slowly took effect. Sam came running into the room as I finally let out a small scream of pain. "Maeve! I told you not to do this!" Dean muttered. "I couldn't see you in pain anymore." I whispered, wincing from the pain."Dean what the hell?" Sam's voice was angry, but concerned. Slowly, I turned my face so he could see me. "I wanted this Sam, I asked Dean to give me the Mark." He groaned and put a hand to his face. "Why would you do that?" 

"Because you know what suffering is! I know what goes through your head everyday, and what goes through Dean's. Both of you need happiness, and you need time to find a cure. That's what I'm giving you is time." I struggled to say the words through gritted teeth, the Mark slowly adjusting to me. Memories flashed through my head. Lucifer's memories, then Cain's and finally Dean's. I saw myself reflected in Dean's eyes asking for the Mark. I could feel the Mark's eagerness to leave, thinking I would be weaker than Dean. I hoped I wasn't. 

Dean's face looked lighter, as if a weight had been lifted off his shoulders. I knew it had, and I knew one other thing. "You can't tell me where the blade is, got it?" The brothers nodded in sync and I let go of Dean's arm. I slowly walked over to the table and sat down, offering Sam the glass I had prepared for him. He took it and walked back into the bathroom. I curled up into a ball, afraid and tired. Dean knelt next to me and put a hand on my knee. "I told you I didn't want to do this." I nodded, looking at the wall. "I couldn't see you suffer anymore, I'm giving you time. Use it wisely." He got up and walked over to the bed, grabbing his cellphone. I tried to clear my head, voices whispered, screamed. I glanced around, but only Dean was there.

I tried to calm myself, then a hand appeared on my shoulder. I looked up to see Cas standing next to me. "Maeve, what have you done?" I rolled my eyes and looked away. "That seems to be the question today doesn't it?" I muttered, walking over to my bed to pack up my bag. The boys talked with Cas in hushed tones as I lay on my bed, curled up, not caring about the world turning around me. Eventually they had all left, and I still was just there. I rolled onto my back, watching the ceiling. I felt horrible, so to try and cheer myself up I started singing. 

"I ruled the world.
With these hands I shook the heavens to the ground.
I laid the gods to rest.
I held the key to the kingdom.
Lions guarding castle walls.
Hail the king of death.

Then I lost it all
Dead and broken.
My back's against the wall.
Cut me open.
I'm just trying to breathe,
Just trying to figure it out
Because I built these walls to watch them crumbling down.
I said, "Then I lost it all."
And who can save me now?

I stood above
Another war,
Another jewel upon the crown.
I was the fear of men.
But I was blind.
I couldn't see the world there right in front of me.
But now I can..."

I heard footsteps coming down the hallway so I stopped, waiting. Dean opened the door, and I slowly sat up. Cas followed him, and Sam closed the door behind them all. I watched as Sam and Cas walked away from me and Dean. "What's going on?" I asked quietly, looking at Dean who sat next to me. "We brought you here for an important reason Maeve, and I don't care if right now it's too dangerous to leave the hotel. We had to alter our plans." He took the promise ring from my neck and nodded to Cas. He walked over and took the ring for a moment, a faint glow surrounding it. Then Dean took it back and held up my hand to meet the hand that held the ring. "I brought you here for this Maeve." He placed the ring on my finger and I gently touched it. 

"You brought me out here to get married?" I asked softly. He nodded and I smiled, something that felt odd considering the circumstances. Cas put his hand on my shoulder. "Do you want this Maeve?" I nodded mutely, and Cas gently touched my back. A sharp pain shot through my body for a moment, and I gasped. "I just branded you, it's protection against angels, and it has your status." I looked up at him confused. "My status?" He nodded mutely, and then I realized what it would be. "Welcome to the Winchester family Maeve." Sam said from across the room, and then Cas touched my forehead and zapped me back to the bunker. He told me that Dean and Sam would drive back, and then someone cleared their throat behind us. I turned around to find Jo and Ellen standing there, arms crossed. "C'mon Maeve, let's catch up." Jo said, and I followed the two of them into the library. It was going to be a long night.