WesXShayne

The air was thick. Wes would describe it as carrying the colour grey. It looked that way. In reality, the air probably just held remnants of the radiation from months ago.
It was a harsh leak, but it happened. The radiation carried through the air and in mere months, ate at abandoned houses and buildings. Everyone had just fled. The radiation spread across a few miles in all directions, but it hadn't fully attacked all of America.
Most people who are still in town are just floaters. A small town was established on the ground of an old one. Most of everything there is cheap because of the small population and economy. That's probably the only reason most people are even there. Cheapskate's risking their memory to save a few bills.

Wesley, preferably called Wes, explored a different part of the town. The main square is just a few miles west from the street he was currently on. Wes was searching the abandoned houses.
The leak caused a lot of people who were unprotected and exposed to the free floating radiation to nip at their memories. Inducing retrograde amnesia or sending people comatose.
Wes was working in a field one day. The day of the leak, which he was unaware of. He hadn't gone far from the city. In fact Wes was on his way back. Still, with how long he'd been exposed, Wes was infected.
He probably barely parked in front of an apartment building when everything went blank. He doesn't even remember that much.

He had been out for two weeks. The first days, a group of uninfected people spotted him and taken him to a hospital. A hospital nearly full of other infected people who were caught up in their comas as well as Wes.
They had rejected him due to the lack of space. Luckily the group that saved him, was persistent that they get him help. They took him back to their own building, where they were able to flag down help and saved Wes' life.
He woke up not knowing who he was or what was going on. The group had taken him in. After a brief explanation, Wes thanked them. He believed them enough and trusted them. Especially after they let him stay free in a motel that the group takes care of.

Wes trekked forward. He had just rummaged through a one story yellow house. He was hoping something would jog his memory a bit but nothing did. He was getting worried that the leakage had permanently destroyed his memory. The main thing he was looking for in his searches was pictures and names. The group that had taken him in said that his name was embossed on his jumper. That's all he had however. Just the name Wesley to hold onto. The only thing he has of his old life.
A week ago, Wes had gone looking for the vehicle that he had been rescued from. One of his friends from the group, David had gone with him. The street he was found on, Pleasant Street was more of a wreckage. The leftover radiation was eating at the cement. The vehicle that David was on the lookout for, was probably stolen, or broken beyond recognition. They couldn't find it.
Nonetheless, the group had figured Wes used to be persistent and patient as he was showing then. He just kept looking.

A distant scream erupted a few streets away. As if serving as a reminder for Wes to get back home. He wasn't too far from the motel, but still, it was going to be dark by the time he arrives.
There has been cases of radiation actually destroying too much of a person's brain that they went crazy. Like a zombie, without dying. They have supposed incoherent thoughts and usually have muscle spasms. They have very disoriented coordination. Also, the most notable thing about these infected people are that they are easily or always agitated. Usually attacking someone, if not all of those in their line of view.
The people who have stayed in the town have tried to establish order. It's usually respected aside from infected crazies.

It's been theorized that even though the radiation has seemed to drift away, it might be secretly infecting the rest of western America. Maybe even traveling far east.
Wes didn't let those get into his head, mainly because he already doesn't have his memories and there's a chance whatever family he has left doesn't either. He was still determined to look for his past self. Whether he was alone or not.
There was a few more screams not too far from Wes. He wasn't too scared because he believed he could take whoever on. He still had a lot of muscle from the past.