143: Aubrey

143: A

It was decided that we should start back down. Trevino would accompany the Gomez family if the rest of us wanted to stay, but the tour might resume at the bottom, to head for the Pyramid of the Moon and the smaller residential areas in a half an hour.

We all decided to head back.

At the bottom, Ariana was feeling nauseated, and decided to go back to her vehicle and wait. Marcos, her brother-in-law went with her and Gomez stayed with Felicity who was all bandaged up now and feeling better. Especially after having another energy bar--- chocolate chip--- and a coconut water. She munched away happily--- telling us all about her rescue from falling--- in little girl Spanish.

Rafe privately told me how proud he was of my calm and professional abilities. He was kissing the corner of my lips and I was just starting to revel in the soft feel of his hands against me, when I heard a strange echoing popping noise.

Rafe held my arm tighter, and the guys were all looking around for the source of the noise when suddenly there was a huge--- boom. I can't explain that noise---- it lit up the atmosphere around us with heavy thunder. The instant feeling of terrible dread accompanied it. Like the air itself reverberated with confusion and helplessness. The explosion went on and on--- in slow underwater sound.

Rafe ducked, framing my head with his hands. Ben dove for me too, covering both Rafe and I.

There was screaming, and then another larger ---boom.

The ground shook--- and those of us who could--- tried to look around--- tried to ascertain what was causing it. You don't immediately think of terrorist attacks--- you think of thunder and earthquakes. And if earthquakes---- would there be more? How to get away from dangerous ruins and falling debris?

And the awful clogged throat feeling in your chest.... Not being able to breathe---

Gomez had turned--- he screamed hoarsely for Ariana, and I too--- turned to find her, and Marcos both lying flat in the Avenue with about a dozen other people. Gomez started to run to her--- his legs looking like slow motion underwater--- and then I realized it was the shock wave effect. The air around us shimmered with the pressure difference from the explosions. Carlos was holding Gomez back, and Trevino had grabbed his arm, and Rafe's, and was dragging them to the shelter of the ruins to the right of the Avenue.

As soon as we could stand I grabbed Jeremy's hand as he started to push us all toward the ruins--- an opening in the rock and cement. I turned once, and saw people scrambling for the ruins, racing and slipping, falling... and screaming.... Black uniformed figures were pounding down the Avenue in our direction---- carrying guns.

This had not been an earthquake---- nor had it been thunder and lightning. The storm was coming from giant plumes of black rolling smoke covering the area next to where we had parked. I craned my neck to get a peek as we ran--- still feeling that unbelievable ache inside of dread and fear. All I saw were flames and black smoke shooting hundreds of feet into the sky blocking what light there had been and reaching out to touch the already black clouds. There was no sun.

No time to think---no time to wonder----Tim had us all corralled--- his gun drawn, his back to us, when from the east I could see the organized formation of plainly dressed paramilitary heading to engage the black suited Mexican Military.

We ran through the first walls, and Trevino kept us going through the maze like rooms, further and further away. But that didn't stop the sounds of screaming, the shimmer of pressurized shock blasted air as another much larger explosion shook us all to our knees. The cement windows facing the Avenue shattered with the blast like Legos popping apart. The rocks inside them shot upward.