132: Rafe

132: R

"Where you gonna get decent pizza in Mexico?" I called out to her, flicking a fly out of my hair. It was a big freaking fly.

"Where are we staying tonight?" Aubrey asked, ignoring me.

"Someplace with a very good shower." Ben called to her.

She laughed. "Are we staying downtown, or out somewhere?" I felt relieved. I thought she might have been ignoring me due to all the cussing. But her laugh had been normal. Whew!

"It's downtown, called the Hotel Morales."

I saw her nod. "Everybody gets their own room right?"

"Except you." I projected my voice up to her. She didn't turn around and for a split second I wondered if she wanted her own room. But then I saw her fingers do the okay sign behind her back and I smiled. We were okay, and not revisiting the days when she resisted staying with me.

There weren't anymore--- hadn't been anymore threats to not sleep with me, or shower with me. Part of that was a given. I left her alone to shower for the most part--- respecting her need for some alone time. On this tour there had been precious little of that. But the bunk was small, and close quartered, and even though neither of us were large people, it was still cramped.

We rode the plodding horses with my backside aching, and my legs tense from trying to hold myself erect and away from the rubbing, which only made my inner calves rub against the horse's sides. I was only too relieved to return said horse to his corral, and limp out to the snack area for some cold water, and a call to Jeff, who was on the other side of the patio.

I sat down heavily and Aubrey came up behind me, wrapping her arms lightly for the sticky heat. "I'm sorry the horseback riding wasn't as fun as I thought."

"It was fun." I conceded, not wanting her to feel bad--- not as bad as my rubbed legs.

"No, it was hot and taxing after that giant concert last night. You should just tell me when we're doing that kind of venue and I won't even think of planning something like this."

"Tonight and tomorrow night." I told her with my eyes closed.

"Do you have a headache? We should just go. I'll call Jeremy." She turned away and no sooner said than done we were loading the vans. Everyone agreed we were hot and tired and even the hour long drive back was too much.

However--- pulling up to the hotel was also too much.

We were downtown. There were modern buildings mixed in with older buildings with great architecture. I was dismayed however when we drove past the very tall and modern looking civic center, and stopped in front of the smaller, and less imposing Hotel Morales. It was a brick building, with small upper windows and tiny wrought iron balconies attached--- looking unfortunately rusty. Holli was waiting for us surrounded by security people. Fans were already lined up.

I was instantly beyond tired. Jeff and Mutt got out, waved, and as girls came up asking for pictures and autographs--- our security closed in, ushering us fairly quickly. Of course, this was our cue to be the rebellious boy band. We were expected to break away from security--- and security knew this—and pose for selfies, sign things quickly, and answer really random questions with waves and salutes. This done, I joined Aubrey inside in the cooler interior.

And she was standing in front of this twelve foot high indoor carved and inlaid water fountain. Above it was a three story high natural sky light, and as Aubrey twirled, I looked around dizzily at the most exquisite indoor villa type architecture I'd ever seen. The floors were all tiled, red, sparkly, and white sparkly. The edges of all the floors and in designs around them were mosaics, and smaller tile work, each area had thick marbled arches, and plants everywhere. The tinkling of the fountain set off this lovely, sitting area.