074:

"So, you're Aubrey Mann." My eyes slid to the side. The guy beside me was  taller than me, of course, everybody was. He was blonde and good looking, with too much hair and too much scruff, but he was running competently, which said something for him automatically.

            "And you're Jeremy?"

            "I am he." He laughed, surprised that I knew his name. "So, what did you think of the concert?"

            "It was awesome." I said, wondering if he was going to ask for feedback like Rafe. I doubted I could be as forthright or honest with him as I was with Rafe. He was a virtual stranger to me.

            "Even afterwards? I saw Dylan."

            I was shocked, and worried that Rafe had caught the casual comment.

            "It was no big deal."

            "You took him down pretty quick."

            "Well, that was a big deal, I guess!" I laughed nervously, looking at Rafe again, but he was talking to Ben. Our feet slapping the ground were kind of masking the clarity of the voices.

            "It got you stuffed by the bouncers. I almost came back to help you. But you got rescued right then." He shook his head. "Steer clear of Dylan."

            I would have asked him more questions, obviously he'd observed something about Dylan that made him say that. But he ran ahead of us.

            Rafe took us back toward the buses. He was talking to a few people, asking if they wanted to come with us to Guadalupe Canyon. There were four extra seats. I saw Jeremy turn around and trot back to us.

            "Count me in." He said and winked at me. I felt a momentary wariness, and then told myself not to over analyze things. I got on the bus, went back to our bunks and got out my smaller day pack, filled it with my kindle, herbs, some power bars, water, and the first aid kit I'd brought. My camera was a must. I found sunscreen and a hat, and my bathing suit. I opted for the really lightweight flimsy flip flops in the bag, as I'd wear my running shoes and shorts and t-shirt now. I pulled my sunglasses up, effectively pulling my hair behind my ears. Rafe joined me.

            "You got plenty of water?" He slapped my butt, then without warning, cupped my butt cheek and ran his fingers over it, feeling for firmness I guess. I pulled away, uncomfortable.

            "I brought six--- three for you and three for me. Bring money, if we need more?"

            His eyes were curious. As I stepped off the lower bunk I'd been using for leverage, he cupped my butt again, staking his dominance. I pushed his hands away, and he pulled me close by my hips. "What's wrong, baby?"

            I turned my face away. "It's all new to me. A lot of people."

            He was nodding. "It does take getting used to. You sure you're okay?"

            I couldn't look directly into his eyes. It just wasn't in me to stare at somebody while I lied to them. "Yeah, I'm good."

            He was far too perceptive. He pulled my hips easily into his, pushed his leg between mine, and pressed my chest with his, "Aubrey."

            "Don't push this, Rafe. I'm fine. I'm not used to it yet. Give me that, at least."

            He nuzzled my neck and throat. "I don't believe you."