135: Aubrey

135: A

"The kids are right proud of you tonight, momma." Rafe yawned and kicked off his shoes. I shook my head, this fantasy was a little bizarre. I kicked off my shoes, and then straightened them against the wall, undoing the clasp on my jeans as I went into the bathroom.

I didn't realize Rafe had followed me. He usually gave me space to change. So I was all the way out of my jeans before I realized I had an audience.

"What is your favorite Bowie song?" He stood in the doorway, and I covered myself with the legs of my pants, startled.

"Star man." I answered, bent over to cover myself.

"Why are you doing that? Is there something I haven't seen?" He looked amused, those dark winged brows rising in amusement. I dropped the jeans and turned to head into the bathroom, recalling that married couples really didn't have anything to hide from each other, but---- gees! We weren't married yet!

He didn't pursue it, for which I was grateful, and when I came out and brushed my teeth, he had already brushed his, and was laying on top of the covers on our new, and much larger bed, with just his sleeping shorts on, his hands linked beneath his head. He was singing under his breath, "There's a star man, waiting in the night. He'd like to come and see us, but he thinks he'll blow our minds."

"Sky." I corrected, sitting on my side of the bed, and braiding my hair for the night.

"What?"

"There's a Star man, waiting in the sky."

He tried the corrected words out and then sighed happily. "It's a good thing you know music."

"You too."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, American Pie for instance. You have to know all the words in order to be married to me. I put that down as one of my qualifications for future husband when I was thirteen."

"You wrote your qualifications for your future husband down? I want to see them. Do you know them?" He sat up quickly.

I laughed, as I pulled back the covers. Thinking how nice it was to get into bed and not bump my head or have to bend over.

Rafe's fingers pulled my braid close to him. Our eyes met. "What is going to happen tomorrow?"

"What do you mean? At church?"

"Yes." His fingers were trembling. I reached for the Kindle and pulled up some scriptures. I wasn't exactly sure where they were, so it took me a couple of minutes. Rafe sat with one leg around my back, and the other out straight, so I was leaning against his chest. I was acutely aware of his breathing on my shoulder, as he gently worked the loose fitting t-shirt off that skin and blew on it.

"There are two priesthoods. You have the Aaronic." I read Doctrine and Covenants 13 with him, and he said he understood it. So then we looked at Section 84. And Section 27. These he read to himself.

"You have to have the Melchezidek Priesthood to go through the rest of the temple ordinances for yourself. Right?"

"Is it all coming back, or is it all confusing?"

He looked far away. "No. I understand it well enough. I remember it."

I nodded and closed the Kindle as he handed it back to me.

"Aubrey. I don't understand why they aren't kicking me out."

"Kicking you out of what? The church?"